President Obama Delivers His Second to Last State Of The Union Address

Emilia Haycock, Staff Writer

In his annual State of the Union address Tuesday January 20th, President Barack Obama issued several proposals that would be very difficult to pass in the new Republican-led Congress.

These proposals include a child-care tax credit, free community college, and paid family leave. Obama also said that he planned to veto any overhaul taken on his executive actions on immigration.

Obama also called for companies to offer more educational benefits and paid apprenticeships, citing the efforts of CVS and UPS. The president also called for a renewal against the global war on terrorism and ISIS – The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

“We stand united with people around the world who’ve been targeted by terrorists  –  from a school in Pakistan to the streets of Paris…we will continue to hunt down terrorists and dismantle their networks, and we reserve the right to act unilaterally, as we’ve done relentlessly since I took office to take out terrorists who pose a direct threat to us and our allies,” Obama stated.

This was particularly important because it remarks towards the specific event that are still widely recognized and talked about. Announcing that “the shadow of crisis has passed.”

President Barack Obama used his sixth state of the union speech to promote economic progress and call for a recovery that would include Americans who are still fighting off poverty.

The president described a vision for a “middle-class economics” with an emphasis on good jobs, savings, education, affordable housing and support for families.

But the president declared economic victory after years of slow growth.

“The verdict is clear. Middle-class economics works,” he said. “Expanding opportunity works.”

Obama outlined initiatives to give workers longer paid sick leave and maternity leave, better child-care support and to offer students two free years of community college. The president called on Congress to pass legislation to increase cybersecurity.

On foreign policy, the president asked Congress for an authorization of the use of military force to sustain the fight against Isis. He said he would veto new sanctions on Iran. Obama asked for trade promotion authority to cut “strong new trade deals from Asia to Europe.”

The president called out Republicans for climate change denial.

He stated that “the best scientists in the world are all telling us that our activities are changing the climate.”

Obama made passing reference to the events of Ferguson and New York as well calling on all sides to seek common ground. Obama warned Congress not to try to roll back his work on immigration, health care or financial regulation, saying any such bill would earn his veto.

“We are a strong, tight-knit family who has made it through some very, very hard times,” he said.

President Obama’s speech was precise about his plan and he tried to relate to all parts of America.