West Morris Star gets Drafted to Detroit

Billy Froetscher, Staff Writer

Hometown hero Michael Burton was drafted recently, giving fans of West Morris Football and all of long Valley something to cheer about.

Burton’s senior year at West Morris everyone around town knew he was going to be special, but I don’t think many expected this. Just six years ago Burton led West Morris to a state championship at Metlife Stadium.

His stats at West Morris were impressive to say the least. According to Nj.com, Burton started at linebacker for the Varsity team as a freshman. Sophomore year he played on both sides of the ball, linebacker and primary ball carrier. Both those years the Wolfpack at sub-500 records and Burton was happy. Burton used those two years as motivation. The next year, the Wolfpack made a huge improvement. A 9-2 record falling short in the state semis. His senior year was the year that heads started turning. He led his team to a state championship against Passaic Valley. Turning in a monster game, it was just the way Burton should have gone out.

According to nj.com, Burton broke many records including, “season rushing yards (1,769 on 200 carries), season all-purpose yards (2,376), career rushing yards (3,372), career all-purpose yards (4,498) and career points (343).”

When Burton’s career ended, he had 1AA offers from places like Leigh, but he always wanted to play at Rutgers. Starting as a preferred walk on after his redshirt freshman year, he proved he belonged. Coach Flood said “Michael is a big part of our offense.” It could be said that every big run Rutgers produced was because of their unbelievable fullback blocking.

This praise he got by the Rutgers coaching staff had NFL coaches turning their heads. After he got invite to the combine it was over. Burton had an unbelievable draft, getting twenty five reps of 225, and 11.62 secs in the 60 yard dash, according to NFL.com.

So many current players here at West Morris look up to Burton and how he plays.

The fullback is getting thrown out of man offensive schemes and strategies. Its a dying art. How knows, Burton could be the next Tom Rathman or Merril Hoge. Burton could single-handedly bring back the drying bread of the fullback position. Just a humble kid from Long Valley has given so much for this town to cheer for.