Update on the Presidential Election

Update on the Presidential Election

Sean McElwaine, Staff Writer

The 2016 Presidential Election is still a while away, but the battle has already begun. Here is an update on what things are looking like in the world of politics from the right wing all the way to the left.

To start off, maybe one of the most popular candidates and seeming frontrunner, Hillary Clinton, has been having some issues that has caused the left to push for a new competitor to her. Politico.com states that the Clinton’s have been exposed recently about their acceptance of money from foreign foundations, which violates the constitution. This has stirred up a notable amount of controversy and is not helping her chances at all for next fall.

According to Fox News, Former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley is the most likely candidate to run to challenge Hillary Clinton in the democratic pool. Currently, O’Malley can benefit greatly from the troubles the Clinton is enduring. He did not declare yet, but he claims that the decision will be made within the next month.

A professor at Boston University states, ““He’s the litmus test of Hillary’s liberal politics – or alleged liberal politics – because he is going to hold her feet to the fire.”

The problems with Hilary continue as Kentucky Senator and declared president, Rand Paul, accused Clinton of trying to vouch for ideas that, as he said, would “undo some of Bill Clinton’s work — the same work she cheerfully supported as First Lady.” The criminal justice reform has been a focal point for Paul, which explains why he is so on top of the subject. Paul has become a popular candidate on the right.

The Republican presidential field has gained depth as well as diversity in recent weeks. There are potential candidates including Dr. Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who are expected to run in the fall.

Carson told Fox News, “There’s no question this country is in very dire straits… The whole leadership issue is lacking.”

He plans to offer several solutions to large issues instead of just one, which allows the people to help decide and see what works.

Carly Fiorina is being considered as the “alternative” to Hillary Clinton, certainly planning to give her a run for her money. Fiorina is possibly one of the most powerful woman in the business world, with business degree from MIT and Maryland, and makes it clear that she wants to rid the “crony capitalism” in this country, as said by the National Review. Fiorina comments, “the government is one giant, unaccountable, corrupt bureaucracy.”

Mike Huckabee, A former Southern Baptist pastor and Arkansas governor, hopes to seek acceptance and ultimately dominate the field of social conservatives. Bill Clinton grew up in the same hometown, and Huckabee explains how he is excited that Hillary is on the opposition because has been fighting the “Clinton machine” for years.

As compared to the Republicans, the Democrats have only a few candidates that have said they were running. One of which, obviously, is Hillary Clinton, and the other is Bernie Sanders, the Senator of Vermont.

Self – proclaimed independent, Sanders declared a few weeks ago that he will be running for the Democratic party. New York Times writes that Sanders’ goals include those regarding the climate change, making more equal incomes, restraining big banks, and opposing “foreign military intervention.” It will be interesting to see how he can fare against Clinton, being the only official competitor as of now.

At the moment, there are three times more candidates on the right wing running than there are on the left. Democrats, however, do have a few other possibilities. There is Martin O’Malley, previously brought up, and also there is former US Senator Jim Webb. He is largely focusing on critiquing the Clinton-era Foreign Policy, as said by an article on Politico.com. Hillary Clinton seems to be making enemies quickly!

The last likely Democratic candidate is Lincoln Chafee, who is the former governor of Rhode Island. He, too, seems unfond of Clinton. New York Times states, “Mr. Chafee argues that Ms. Clinton’s vote to authorize the war should disqualify her from the presidency.” Those are certainly some strong feelings.

Overall, the race is getting starting to heat up a bit. Both sides are beginning to make moves, yet at this time from the information available, it is clear that the Republicans are displaying much more interest. There is still a great deal of time left, and change is expected.