Mr. Ryan Writes to Class of 2015

To the Class of 2015:

Congratulations for leaving your own distinct imprint upon student life and the legacy of West Morris Central High School!  You may recall that at one of our first meetings of the school year in 2011, I shared with you that this very opportunity, to leave your mark, awaited.  You did not squander that opportunity.  I must convey how very proud I am to have walked our hallways with you these last four years, the first class about whom I can make such a claim.  We entered WMC together, with feelings both anxious and excited.  What you may not know, at the risk of sounding cliche, is that I have learned from all of you lessons that may equal those you have learned from the educators in this, our remarkable school. Indeed, for openly sharing your observations on so many aspects of student life, I am deeply grateful. From homework, to winter-semi, to online issues, clubs, the arts, and athletics, you expressed yourselves thoughtfully and potently.  The classes that follow your path will do well to communicate with the same candor and thoughtfulness.

One of the interview questions that was posed to me over four years ago by the distinguished Mr. Randy Evans was “Have you seen the front of our building and what it calls out to students – Make Your Life Extraordinary? What would you add to that message?”  After an interminably pregnant pause I recall piecing together a response along the lines of:

Well, I don’t know if you can add to that perfectly inspiring line of encouragement, but if I was forced to insert another phrase it might say – Every day exceed someone’s expectations. I then explained that, to me, one of the means by which any person can live a fulfilling, purposeful life is to strive to go beyond the customary … the minimum … the ordinary.

Class of 2015, you have exceeded my expectations for what a collection of young people, with appropriate focus and mutual support, can accomplish for themselves and their community when collaborating with a cohort of unusually talented and dedicated educators.  I urge you to sustain that approach to the endeavors that await you now.  If you can, the legacy of your class will not fade with the years and the expectations you exceed will be countless.

With heartfelt regards and fondest wishes for your future, sincerely,

Mr. Ryan