The Team that Turned Around

Caption: Image of Murphy Keith scoring a touchdown for the Bengals.
Credit: Image chosen from google images.

Caption: Image of Murphy Keith scoring a touchdown for the Bengals. Credit: Image chosen from google images.

Anthony Gonzalez, News Editor

Orange and Black was in the air. Bengals from all over Ohio came to watch their team, hoping for a 9-0 undefeated record. Fans were screaming, people were cheering, and then everything went quiet. The Houston Texan, J.J Watt himself, had entered the stadium.

As stated by ESPN, “The Cincinnati Bengals hold a special place in Houston Texans‘ lore. The Texans, who have been around since only 2002, have had some of their most memorable moments against the Cincinnati Bengals.”

Even so, the Bengals had been undefeated, and the Texans were looking a bit limp. Overall, Houston had only won 3 of their last 8 games of season, leaving the team pretty beat up, and in need of a major turnaround in their season.

Even with this record, however, “the most memorable moment in franchise history was a pick-six by J.J. Watt in the 2011 playoffs that turned the game in Houston’s favor. That was the Texans’ first ever playoff win. In fact, the Bengals are the only team the Texans have beat in the playoffs, having done it in consecutive years (2011-12).”
So with that being said, the Houston Texans were not about to let the Bengals stomp all over them, no matter what the situation was.  Coming out of the gates blazing with determination, the Texans started off great. From the very start of the game, the Houston Texans defensive backs made the red rifle Andy Dalton look like the red BB gun, and that’s not all. Thanks to J.J. Watt and the rest of the defensive front, little Giovani Bernard was unable to get much of anything done.
From there on out, it was Houston’s game, as backup quarterback TJ Yates threw a beautiful 22 yard pass to DeAndre Hopkins early in the forth. In the end, the game ended as it always has in the past. With a 10-6 victory for the Houston Texans. What a shock this was to all.

As stated by West Morris Central student Brandon Colon, “It’s amazing to think that one of the best teams in the league can be taken down by one of the worst teams in the league with their backup quarterback”. This proves that predictions mean nothing in the world of sports. This truly is a Christmas miracle”.