Our Community Service

Survey Results:

Last year, the Community Service Survey began as a student-initiated project to increase student participation and increase school contributions to the local community by asking students what they thought. The good news is that you share the halls with some really great people. Here is what some students had to say about community service:

“[S]ome people have the mindset of, ‘If I don’t do it, someone else will.’ … WMC should raise awareness and show to its students that our community needs the help of every individual, in large ways and in small….”  – WMC Freshman

“I would love to be a part of a town-wide event that would be fun and inclusive as well as maybe fundraising but with the primary goal of community collaboration and companionship, knowing your neighbors.”  – WMC Senior

“I think that the best thing to do is to empower and motivate students in our school to take a leadership role in doing community service. Giving them a support system that encourages creativity and feasibility but which also allows for a lot of autonomy ….  – WMC Junior

The survey answers show that WMC students want to be involved. But often they don’t know what opportunities are available or they can’t find support for their ideas. So, here are a few things that the Survey indicated we should do. The good news is that we are.

Increase communication – Use the morning announcement and email blasts to publicize opportunities. This column is also one result of the survey. Look for it in every issue. Plus, we are working on a community service web page for the school site.

Have fun – Survey takers said that fun service projects would help students make a personal commitment. Students want to be empowered with formal support for ad hoc groups of friends to work on a community service project even if the project is not established by an existing community service group.

We Are Doing It

West Morris Central has many community services clubs that can help you contribute right now.

Future Educators – A place to learn what is takes to be an educator and a chance mentor.

Highlanders for Humanity – You can find different projects to take part in and learn new skills. To name just a few: Stuff the Bus supports the food pantry; JDRF Walk-a-Thon supports the goal of a world without Type 1 Diabetes; Fall Cleanup and Trail Cleanup restore our local environment; Granny Mani’s enriches seniors’ lives; wreath making and hanging spread the holiday season and Knitting Square benefits kids in Africa. You can even bring your own ideas to make our community better.

Junior Reach – Juniors can help 8th graders acclimate to high school.

Senior Reach – Seniors can help 9th and 10th graders create a WMC culture based on respect and positivity.

Relay for Life – Raises money and awareness in the fight against cancer.

Service Leaning Club – Activities include Community Soup Kitchen; support for local retirement centers; local senior resource facilities and more. Like all clubs, the Service Learning Club will sponsor individual project, but here it’s one of their official goals!

More – You can also find meaningful community service work with the all four Class Councils. These serve by enriching the WMC community itself.

Sign up with a club, check them out online and, better yet, attend the next meeting. Give it try!

An Example

My cousin has intellectual disabilities, so my family has become involved with Special Olympics. I started volunteering at their sports events and working with the athletes. Seeing the athletes overcome their difficulties made me wonder what my excuse was. So, I decided to do more. I overheard how much they needed to feed the athletes and volunteers at just one event and figured that I could do a fundraiser to cover it. I learned a lot about getting things organized and I raised over a thousand dollars to fund the food at two events. Special Olympics is now thinking about individual fundraisers in addition to their regular corporate fundraisings.

Now I sit on the Special Olympics of New Jersey Area Committee as their first teen representative. And Special Olympics volunteer opportunities, including Special Olympics sponsorship of your individual ideas and Scout projects, are available at WMC through sponsorship from Highlanders for Humanity.

So, don’t be afraid to try something big. The key is to follow through. And the rewards are real. You can make a difference in someone else’s life and change your own as well. If you need more guidance, check with the clubs above, or you can email me at [email protected]