Flowers, Chocolates, and Teddy Bears or Tissues, Tears, and Netflix?

Elizabeth Jasek and Ashley Lutz, fundraising chairperson and staff writer

Valentine’s day is approaching and some people dread this day while others adore it. It’s a day full of chocolates and teddy bears and love, or a night filled with tears and blankets and movie marathons.

For those who hate Valentine’s Day and watch romantic movies to feel better, here are some good ones: The Last Song, The Best of Me, The Notebook, or any Nicholas Spark movie there is.

However, for those who adore Valentine’s Day and have dinner dates with someone special, we recommend these restaurants: Taphouse Grille, Long Valley Brew Pub, or Andrea’s Dining Room. It’s local, and not too expensive!

Valentine’s Day is supposed to be a loving and caring day shared with someone special. That someone special does not have to be a partner, but either a parent, sibling or pet.  

According to History.com, Valentine’s Day was officialized by Pope Gelasius in the early 5th century. However, it was not until years later that Valentine’s Day was associated with love. Claims says that the earliest valentine poem was written by Charles, Duke of Orleans, to his imprisoned wife.

We surveyed students at West Morris Central about Valentine’s Day. Fifty percent of those surveyed claimed to be excited for Valentine’s Day. On the other hand, twelve point five percent said “No” and thirty-seven point five percent said “I Don’t Care”.

The students that answered the survey, seventy-five percent claimed that Valentine’s Day is more for girls rather than guys. While twenty-five percent, claimed that this special day is shared amongst both genders.

We also asked West Morris Central High School students what they have planned for Valentine’s Day.

Junior, Kaitlyn Murphy stated, “I am hanging by myself and eating chocolate.”

Her plans may seem to be boring and lonely, but if that’s what makes her happy, then so be it!  

Liam Munley, freshman, responded, “I am going out to dinner and ice cream with my girlfriend.”

Melissa Menagh, junior, has similar plans and stated, “I am going out to dinner with my boyfriend!”

Liam and Melissa include a significant other. Whether they booked these plans months before or a week before, at least they get to spend Valentine’s Day with someone they truly love.  

Some people hate Valentine’s Day while others love it, but in all honesty, it’s the same as any other day. You still love friends, family, and/or your significant other whether it is February 14th or not.