What Are You Watching?

What Are You Watching?

Erin Rubright, Staff Editor

At the end of the fourth quarter in 2016, Netflix had 93.8 billion subscribers. In a class of 27 students of all high school grades, 20 of them have netflix or regularly use a friends account. So what is everyone watching?

Drama is one of Netflix’s most popular tv series categories. This includes shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, Gossip Girl, Orange is the new Black, Prison Break, One Tree Hill, and even Criminal Minds to name a few of the most common ones.

I talked with senior Lauren Gunning about netflix and the kind of shows that she watches. While talking, I had the page with all of the drama shows pulled up on my computer.

“All of those shows, those are the ones I watch most”, commented Gunning, “Gossip girl and Orange is the new Black are two that I’ve binge watched and I loved them”.  

The season 4 premiere of Orange is the new Black had 6.7 million views according to Nielsen. And 88% of those viewers tuned in for the next episode.

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, came out over Thanksgiving weekend 2016. All four revival episodes averaged 4.97 million viewers… and this is for a show that has been out of the the works for almost a decade.

According the SymphonyAM, the Fuller House revival blew all others out of the water with 7.33 million views.

The target age demographic for drama on netflix is very large, between 18-45 year olds. This covers men and women too because there is such a large selection of shows for all people. Gossip Girl is under the drama category and mainly watched by women but House of Cards is also under the drama category and watched by a lot of men.

Other interesting statistics were found regarding the amount of people who actually view certain shows, percentage wise. For example, Vanity Fair commented on this, saying that Netflix often fails to comment on viewer numbers. However, they have come up with some of their own.

Daredevil, a fairly new superhero drama, had 10.7% of netflix subscribers watching the show and another drama, House of Cards, had 6.5% of subscribers tuning in for it.

Netflix offers so many different types of movies and shows for all demographics. Drama is one of netflix’s most popular categories though. Those type of shows offer viewers with laughter, tears, and suspense… all in 40 minutes.

Worked with Tyler Beam