Paw Print Newspaper

Why Far Away From Home is Your Best Home for College

YOUniversityTV

YOUniversityTV

Nick Leloia, Sports Editor

While the college application and admissions process can prove to be grueling and stressful, there is an additional aspect to the ambiguity of the next four years that is equally as bothersome for high school seniors. An often overlooked aspect of the cloud of college-induced stress is the decision making process once students are accepted into schools.

When students receive just a single acceptance letter, they feel free to let out a huge sigh of relief. However, multiple acceptance letters can cause the feeling of relief to be only temporary, as they now face another stressful step in deciding which school they want to attend.

“I almost don’t want to get accepted anywhere else so the decision is made for me,” West Morris senior Matt Fernandes joked after receiving his first acceptance letter from a school that was high on his list. This sentiment is shared by many other students throughout the school.

One of the largest determinants in making a college decision is the location of the school. While many immediately think of the climate when location is brought into question, one of the most important factors that has to be taken into consideration with the location of the school is the distance away from home. While there are many benefits to attending a school that is close to home, such as a smaller risk of homesickness, a school that is further away offers even more benefits.

Whenever people travel, one of the first things we notice is the change in culture. The United States, being as vast as it is, encompasses many different cultures across its countless number of colleges and universities. In going to a school that is far from home, students expose themselves to new cultures, lifestyles, and experiences, that they would not have been able to witness near their hometown.

Furthermore, students who attend schools that are far away from home will have a much greater opportunity to meet people and make new friends, whereas students who attend commuter schools may depend on high school friendships for their only social outlets. That is not to say that students who go to schools that are far away cannot maintain high school friendships, however. Colleges that are close to home simply limit the ability of students to add new friendships to their existing ones.

In the college decision making process, when deciding on location, it is best for students to choose a school that is not as close to home as maybe their parents would like. In making this decision, they enable themselves the opportunity to grow and have new experiences.
Image address: http://www.bths.mcvsd.org/storage/guidance/College%20Ahead.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1396400673937