WMC’s Zen Zone: What’s it All About?

WMC’s Zen Zone, located in the spot of the old IB room, offers resources and classes to students to help solve a range of stressful problems, from not ot getting enough sleep to having an overwhelming workload. At the Zen Zone there is a variety of classes and programs, run by Ms. Cartier and Mr. Maczko, that you can participate in including yoga and mindfulness classes.

In the room you can find many helpful resources like meditation tapes, coloring books, music, yoga mats, and more. On Wednesdays and Fridays during lunch you can stop in for some relaxing and mind-calming yoga. Yoga is very beneficial in increasing your ability to focus and can lead to improvements in your health and your athletic and academic performance. There are also activities happening during periods 1, 3, and 5. On the door of the Zen Zone there is a calendar showing what events are coming up and when they take place.

Many students here at WMC feel like they are drowning in work and cannot ever get enough sleep. This leads to them stressing out and not being able to focus. If this is happening to you, go to the Zen Zone! Ms. Cartier helps students with “grounding techniques” which will help their time management, leading to a less stressful life.

There are big goals for the Zen Zone for the months and years to come, one of these being therapy dogs coming in and students being able to go and see them. Although there has been great success with the Zen Zone so far, many students are not sure what it is for or what you can do there. Don’t be scared to stop in and see what it’s all about!

Since it is in the room where the old IB room previously was, the Zen Zone room has been redecorated to look less like a classroom and more like a calming environment with new lighting, colors, and murals.
If you are ever feeling stressed or anxious because of school or anything else, WMC encourages you to make your way to Ms. Cartier or the Zen Zone to take advantage of its offered resources to help you destress and and improve your health and your academic performance.