West Morris Star Takes on Key Role for Rutgers Football

Sean McElwaine, Staff Writer

Local hero Michael Burton earned a spot as a captain on the  Rutgers football team as he begins his last year of college football. Originally a walk-on, Burton has come a long way to get where he currently is, which is the highest role on the team. Not only has he earned a starting spot, but the fullback earned a full scholarship for football.

Current West Morris football coach, Mr. Hennelly, admitted that he would have rather seen Burton play at University of New Hampshire at the time, where he had a full scholarship offered to him his senior year of high school.

New Hampshire is in top Division 1 AA of football schools in the country, but that is not where Burton felt he should be. Rutgers was the college he had always wanted to go to, and there was no changing that. Burton had a mission to prove many people wrong who had thought his decision was too bold. Now, it is safe to say he has been successful in doing so, taking the starting spot (and scholarship) of another Rutgers team member.

Coach Hennelly certainly would not be the only one to say that Burton is arguably the hardest working player he has ever coached, who claims he has always been the first one to practice and the last to leave. Rutgers offensive linemen coach, Chris Muller said, “He’s the hardest working on and off the field. He always finishes. He has the highest finish grades on the team…”

Former Rutgers fullback and current free agent, Brian Leonard, stated, “I see him when he doesn’t have to be there working out, working on footwork, catching the football, and just little things.” This is what makes him such a special player–the little things.

Burton is indifferent about his personal success and recognition, and to him, winning each game is the only thing that matters. “If I go unnoticed that’s fine as long as we have team success,” quoted Burton.

The humble star has not forgotten his roots and will often be seen at the West Morris Wolfpack football games on Friday nights, watching and supporting the team. Current Wolfpack fullback, Connor Thompson, works hard to model his game after Burton, “He is one of the best ever to play at West Morris. He does everything right and now gets to play against the best college teams in the nation.” The coaches, players, and fans of West Morris football have nothing but respect for the star fullback.