Wolfpack Baseball Beats the MinuteMen to Advance in States

Doug Olcese, Staff Writer

The ninth seeded West Morris Wolfpack baseball team upset the eighth seeded West Morris Mendham Minutemen yesterday in the first round of the state tournament. Mendham had beaten West Morris both times that they played them in the regular season. The first time West Morris played Mendham Junior Jeff Millet was the starting pitcher for the wolfpack. The second time that West Morris had played Mendham it was for the Callahan Cup that Mendham again won. Sophomore Trevor Mount was the starting pitcher the second time.

In the first game Mendham had beaten the wolfpack 7-0. In the second game Mendham won 7-1. In the game yesterday West Morris won 3-1 and knocked Mendham out of the state tournament.

West Morris went ahead early scoring the first run of the game in the top of the first. Will Sullivan was hit by a pitch. Will Sullivan was advanced by Patrick Kennedy to second. With Will Sullivan standing on second with one out in the top of the first,  the Mendham pitcher threw a wild pitch and Will Sullivan went to third base. Andrew Montgomery then hit a ground ball to the Mendham second baseman and Will Sullivan scored and Andrew Montgomery got an RBI on the play.

In the bottom of the fourth inning Mendham got a run through a single. Then a ground ball advanced the runner and the runner was on second with one out. A deep fly ball to center made it so that the runner advanced to third with two outs after tagging up. Then Mendham got a single and the runner on third jogged in to score and make the game 1-1 after the bottom of the fourth inning.

At the top of the fifth inning with two outs Andrew Pierson was hit by a pitch and was standing on first with two outs. Trevor Mount got up and hit a double that Andrew Pierson went first to third on and the throw from the outfield to home plate allowed Trevor to go from first to second. The Jackson Weippert came up to bat and roped a single to straight away center. Andrew Pierson and Trevor Mount both scored and Jackson Weippert was standing on first with two RBI’s.
After the fifth inning there was no more scoring for either team. With the game still 3-1 in the bottom of the seventh inning Doug Olcese, the starting pitcher for the wolfpack yesterday, went out to finish the game and the Mendham hitters swung at the first pitch each batter, one flew out to right field the other flew out to left field, for the first and second out. The next batter then flew out to right field to end the game.