Making a Difference: Advisors of WMC Community Service Clubs

Lana Prieur, Staff Writer

Participating in the West Morris Central service clubs provides students with the

opportunity to become active members of our community and make a lasting, positive impact on

our society at large. Community service or volunteerism at West Morris Central also teaches

real-life skills and knowledge. Plus, it supports the people in our community who need help the

most. Real-world experience and real-world learning makes community service one of the most

effective ways for each of us to learn and feel great about ourselves. But we should also feel

great about the people who enable us at WMC – the teachers who give their time, energy and

guidance to our service clubs.

For this article, The PAW reached out to all of the faculty advisors and was able to speak

with some of the main contributors about the reasons they contribute their time and the benefits

that they see. It’s not just about education either; our teachers are contributing and benefitting in

their own right from the work that we all do together at West Morris Central. We spoke with Dr.

Amelia Wright, advisor for Highlanders for Humanity; Ms. Jill Quabeck and Ms. Maria Zdroik,

advisors for The Service Learning Club and Ms. Debbie Gonzalez and Ms. Kathryn Patella,

advisors for Relay for Life.

Many of us know Dr. Wright as an English teacher and some of us are also fortunate to

know her as the person who makes The PAW possible for West Morris Central students – a great

place to learn to be a journalist and to communicate. Dr. Wright is tireless with her devotion to

the students at WMC. When she saw an opening at the Highlanders, she signed on because of her

experience in other districts where she always liked advising for service clubs, she just, “missed

doing it.” Since she became an advisor of the Highlanders, Dr. Wright turned to reorganizing the

committees so that students could function in smaller committees. Committee members have an

easier time finding times when everyone can meet. And more, smaller committees can each

focus on one thing and get that one thing done right. Highlanders has so many projects that they

were having trouble doing them all. The reorganization has helped Highlanders become more

efficient and productive.

Dr. Wright shared that all the events are fun to take part in, but Pay it Forward is

probably the most attractive for the students because, “everyone enjoys going to Mrs. McManus’

room and preparing food.” Dr. Wright summed up her experience of doing community service: it

lets us, “not only do something nice for others but also learn our interests and passion. It shapes

you mentally as a person, connects you to everyone and at the same time, you are doing

something good.”

Indeed, Highlanders for Humanity has helped a diverse group of people in the Long

Valley community, addressing any needs that arise. Dr. Wright said that Habitat for Humanity is

coming back this spring. That is just one great activity and you can join at any time.

If the school’s largest service club is too big for you, consider the Service Learning Club

instead. This club has been running since the 1990s said Ms. Quabeck who teaches Special

Education and Ms. Zdroik who is on the Child Study Team and a Learning Disability Teacher-

Consultant. They both became advisors of this club because they wanted to give back to the

community. And they have been doing so for eighteen years – longer than many of us have been

alive. It’s hard to imagine more devoted advisors. The Service Learning Club carries out a great

variety of projects such as helping the elderly at Heath Village by playing word games, helping

with the food pantry, helping with a walk-a- thon for Tourette Syndrome and senior resource

center, just to name a few. Quabeck and Zdroik agree that helping out at the local soup kitchen is

one of the most meaningful events because, “the students are able to develop empathy and are

exposed to a diversity of people.”

The Service Learning Club is trying to help Morris County residents and address the

needs of the community. The students who are involved in these events have benefited in so

many ways. By helping others, they have raised the level of social respect, improved their

community skills and their critical thinking. It definitely foster kindness, Zdroik opines.

Ms. Quabeck and Ms. Zdroik have this advice: “Get involved because helping others will

makes you feel better about yourself, even if you’re feeling down.” This club is looking for new

ideas while keeping up their existence ones. They are open to help you if you have a service

project. The club has no officers and aims to work with a spirit of togetherness and unity to make

a huge difference and great impact in our community.

Ms. Gonzalez is an English teacher and most of us also know her as the IB Coordinator,

but she and Ms. Patella, an English Department colleague, make Relay for Life, the annual walk

for the American Cancer Society, the major success that it is at West Morris Central. For both

advisors, Relay for Life is very personal. “I have been personally effected by cancer with too

many relatives, friends, and co-workers,” said Ms. Patella. Ms. Gonzalez had friends who

survived cancer and her daughter's nurse, who also had cancer, impressed her with a speech at

Mendham. They both couldn’t just be bystanders in this fight.

Ms. Patella didn't start out as an advisor, but rather she started her own team and

encouraged her students to join. The first year she had about 50 students and last year she had

over 115 students. “Seeing students join together to fight for such an amazing cause inspired me

to want to get more involved when the opportunity presented itself” said Ms. Patella.

Cancer is an “insurmountable enemy” stated Ms. Gonzalez. In Relay For Life, students

can come together to do something against the “common enemy.” It helps those with cancer and

the survivors. The event celebrates life and birthdays. Even more astoundingly, Relay for Life

has brought West Morris Central and West Morris Mendham together. More commonly at odds

on the gridiron, the court and the field, Mendham and Central worked together as West Morris to

host a Relay for Life event at the end of last school year. Ms. Patella shared that, “it was a long

night but it brings together two communities and shows our survivors, fighters, and those we lost

that we are on this journey with them and are not willing to give up until we find a cure.”

What amazing impact these advisors have made. Relay has just celebrated raising $1

million over its 11 years at West Morris. Seventy-five percent of this goes toward cancer

research, patient support, prevention, information, education, detection and treatment. This

money helps everyone learn to fight cancer. The remainder of the money goes toward general

expenses and running the event. The club aims to continue raising money and spreading

awareness until a cure is found.

These three clubs have made a tremendous impact while imparting valuable lessons to

the students who are inspired by the cause. The lessons are simply priceless. Ms. Gonzalez

advises everyone to, “find something you're passionate about and make a difference.” Ms.

Patella echoes her that, “Everyone has the ability to make an impact, no matter how big or small.

Don't sit back and say someone else will do it.” So, let’s follow these intrepid Advisors and make

a difference. The effort benefits not just our community, but our whole lives.