Paw Print Newspaper

Filed under Features, Showcase

New Changes Ring in The New School Year

Along with the date change of the first day of school, many other differences can be noted at the start of the 2017-2018 school year. Most notable would be the new focus on cell phones and their limited permitted uses.

Unlike the other rules, the date change was one that was felt immediately after its approval, as well as on the first day of classes. Teachers and students alike had to change their vacations in order to match up with the earlier start date, and those unaffected in regards to vacations had to wrap their heads around the fact that there was a nine day loss in summer days.

While it will later benefit those taking AP tests who will have more time to prepare, as well as an earlier graduation for seniors, many reacted with frustration to the news.

In many classes, teachers have begun enforcing the rule of cell phones being given up at the beginning of class. This is meant to limit the temptation to look at a phone while learning.

WMC Senior, Alyssa Spady, has felt these rules come into action in her AP Government and Politics Class, where each student has to place their cell phone in a cubby before the start of class.

“I’m not used to putting my phone in a cubby before leaving a class. I get the point of it, but its just an annoyance.”

Even though WMC students are only days into the new school, changes have been enacted that will last until June, and even the beginning of the 2018 school year in August. Although they may be a pain now, students, as well as teachers and faculty, understand their overall value in aiding learning and development.