HOLEY​ ​MOLEY​ ​DOUGHNUTS​ ​ARE​ ​ROLLING​ ​INTO​ ​THE CAFETERIA?!

Doughnut middles are empty that doesn’t mean yours has to be! Believe it or not our very
own cafeteria now sells doughnuts from morning to lunch. For years doughnuts have been seen
as a decadent sweet treat. From classic flavors to special editions. Let’s what they’re serving up!
We talked to the cafeteria staff for more information on how they’re made and where the
idea came from. Here is what they had to say.
Why did you decide to start serving doughnuts?
“Because the kids enjoyed them.”
How do you make them or where do you get t

hem?“We do get them premade, the doughnuts themselves. Then we put them in the oven, heat
them up, and then we gloss them here in the cafeteria.”
How many different types do you serve?
“We normally serve four different types.”
What are those types?
“… we make the icing homemade here in the school. And then once the doughnuts are
cooled we put the icing on and then we decorate it with the chocolate chips or the sprinkles or
the stripes…”
Will you make any new flavors, such as special doughnuts for different seasons?
“We can definitely make different flavours. Absolutely, thats a great idea, we will do it.”

Many students were also excited to try the new addition to the cafeteria menu. We
questioned a few on their opinion about it.

WMC sophomore Jenna Leonhardt said, “I thought they weren’t the best doughnuts i’ve
ever had… They just tasted like they were trying to be super healthy…”
Sophomore Hannah Sagam had a very different opinion stating, “I feel very excited when
I take about into this delicious fried food.”

However, doughnuts have not been known for their nutritious value. The average
doughnut has about 10 to 20 grams of fat and contains 250 to 300 empty calories. They also
include a boat load of unhealthy ingredients including refined flours, trans fats, and sugars. And
when we asked about how these doughnuts are nutritious enough to fit into our everyday diets
here is what they had to say.
“[About how many calories are in the doughnuts] That i’m not positive on. I want to say
about 100 calories total. Because they are the whole grain doughnuts they are not the regular
white doughnuts.”
Without a doubt the doughnuts have made an impact on many of the students at West
Morris. We are looking forward to trying some ourselves!

Picture- https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj35NKX34nXAhWh5oMKHWsxAoMQjB0IBg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3ADunkin-Donuts-Vanilla-Sprinkled.jpg&psig=AOvVaw2k5xsWGeOS9XxP2vbufHK2&ust=1508951110767262