Paw Print Newspaper

Filed under Sports

Christmas Day Ballin’

The Christmas season has begun in the NBA and the Christmas Day match-ups are the best match ups since the Christmas Day games have been a tradition.

The first game on Christmas is the Philadelphia 76ers against the New York Knicks at 12:00pm. Game two is the Cleveland Cavaliers versus the Golden State Warriors. That game will most likely end up being the NBA finals for the 2017-2018 season. The third game will be the Boston Celtics versus the Washington Wizards at 5:30pm. The fourth game is an evening game which is Oklahoma City Thunder versus the Houston Rockets. And last but not least the final game of the night is the Minnesota Timberwolves versus the Los Angeles Lakers.

These games are hand picked by the NBA commissioner, Adam Silver. These games consists of some of the best teams in the National Basketball Association.

Game one is the Philadelphia 76ers versus New York Knicks. This game could potentially be a playoff matchup later in the season in early May. Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons are two young stars on the 76ers with help from All-star shooter JJ Reddick. On the other hand, the New York Knicks have big man Kristaps Porzingis and other young talent. This game will most likely end up being close in score. A pole taken recently revealed that 6 out of 10 WMC students think the 76ers will win this game.

Game two is the Cleveland Cavaliers versus the Golden State Warriors. This is the “Marquee matchup” of Christmas day. The Cavaliers have faced the Golden State Warriors for the past three years in the NBA Finals. That will most likely be the finals this year too. 8/10 people say the Warriors will win this game on Christmas.

The Third game is the very young and talented Boston Celtics versus one of the fastest teams in the NBA, the Washington Wizards. This is also a possible foreshadow game for the playoffs in early May. Both teams are top contenders in the Eastern Conference and will look to go beyond regular season play, making a run in the Eastern Conference Playoffs. This game surveyed into an even divide; five out of ten students said Celtics would win, the other five chose the Wizards.

The Fourth game is the Oklahoma City Thunder versus the Houston Rockets. This game consists of three of the top 5 players in the league. Russell Westbrook is the Most Valuable Player of the 2016-2017 NBA season, so that award speaks for itself. Paul George is a young and talented NBA All-Star. The powerful duo will put the high caliber Houston office to a test. On the other side, the Houston Rockets have veteran point guard Chris Paul, who happens to be on the top 20 list of all time assists. They also have the best scorer in the league, James Harden. Enough said. This game will also be very close and very interesting as both teams look to make a run in the playoffs. 6/10 students say the Houston Rockets will win this game.

Last but not least, game five. Game five is the Minnesota Timberwolves versus the Los Angeles Lakers. This is the least hyped up game of the night but still a very important game. The Timberwolves need to lock in chemistry wise and start to figure out how to play together. They have the talent but the chemistry is hard to find amongst this team. The Lakers have the potential rookie of the year, Lonzo Ball. His young leadership skills could push them enough to defeat the talented Timberwolves. The odds favor the T-Wolves in this pole with a 8/10.

Christmas is one of the most popular days of the year and harps on the idea of spending time with your family. If you enjoy the NBA, tune into ABC on Christmas day to enjoy all of these games.

About the Writer
Grant Jenkins, Sports Editor

I took Journalism because I have aspirations of being an sports broadcaster or sports journalist. In my free time I enjoy watching sports and listening...