Paw Print Newspaper

Filed under Features

A Glimpse at WMC Culture – New Year’s Resolutions for 2018

As the world bids farewell to the old and welcomes the new, millions across the globe are taking it upon themselves to make positive changes in their lives in hopes to step into 2018 with their best foot forward. These “New Year’s Resolutions” have been a popular craze for decades, and whether you decide to pursue the goal or – more often than not – let it fall through, plenty of people in the community find that it’s almost like a fun pastime to strive for a little bit of change regardless.

However, do ALL communities prefer to come up with interesting ambitions to welcome the new year? Eighty people – sixteen Freshmen, seventeen Sophomores, fifteen Juniors, seventeen Seniors, and fifteen members of the faculty – in the West Morris Central student and teacher body were approached at random by a member of the Paw Staff to get their opinions and thoughts on their own 2018 Resolutions.

Those surveyed were asked to answer a simple question – “Do you have any New Year’s Resolutions?”. All responses were open ended and fit into condensed categories including: Physical Health (Weight Loss, Exercising and Eating Habits), Focus on a Passion, School Work, Organization, Focus on Personal Well-being, Break Bad Habits, and None. While this small sample cannot be said to apply for the entire school, there seemingly arose a pattern of ideals amongst grade levels as well as staff.

For those who answered “Yes” to the question, the top positive answer for Freshmen was to focus on school work, Sophomores wanted to focus on physical health (closely followed by a focus on personal well-being), Juniors tied with physical health and personal well-being, Seniors had the top answer of personal well-being, and the top positive for Staff was to focus on physical health. However, the most popular response for most of the demographic was actually “None”.

Approximately 41.3% of those surveyed responded that they had no New Year’s Resolution. Though not many elaborated on their reasonings, a great majority of the people who shared their feelings claimed that they didn’t feel they needed the new year as an excuse to change something about their lives.

“If somebody wants to make a change in their life, why should they wait for the new year to do it?” Questioned a staff member, who has requested to remain anonymous. “I mean, I see the appeal of having a clean slate, but if you really want to commit to something, you can do it at any point of the year, you don’t need to wait until January 1st.”

Others with a “None” response felt it was unnecessary because they didn’t feel they needed to change anything at all.
“I don’t believe in making resolutions,” stated Grant Jenkins, a Senior. “I try to live without regrets.”
Whether you have a New Year’s Resolution or not, the Paw Staff wishes you all well for the coming year and that everyone is able to put their best foot forward for a positive and prosperous life.

Happy 2018, West Morris!