Paw Print Newspaper

Filed under Features

The 2018 Academy of Country Music Awards

This year the 53rd Academy of Country Music Awards was on Sunday April 15th.The host of this award show was Reba McEntire. Many famous and popular country stars from Luke Bryan, Kelsea Ballerini, Maren Morris, Blake Shelton and even Carrie Underwood performed at the music award.

Carrie Underwood had a bad fall in early November. She fall from the front stairs of her Nashville home; this sent her to the hospital for a broken wrist that need surgery, and cuts to her required more than 40 stitches.

She told the iHeartRadio’s The Bobby Bones Show, the details of her accident.

Carrie Underwood said  “I was taking the dogs out to go pee one last time, and I just — I tripped,” she said. “There was one step, and I didn’t let go of the leashes! Priorities! So that’s why my left hand’s fine. But I went to catch myself and I just missed a step.” and “If I had fallen anywhere else, I would have been perfectly fine. But it was one step that messed everything up,” Carrie added.

Since then she has not been in the spotlight, and the ACM awards was her first live performance since the accident. She has performanced her new single “Cry Pretty” at the ACM awards.   

Before the awards and performance part of the show started in Las Vegas, they had a special tribute for the shooting that happened six months earlier. 58 people were killed at the Route 91 Harvest Festival last October. This was one of  the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history. Everyone at the award show paid tribute to those lost during last fall’s tragedy.Image result for acm awards 2018 91 harvest fest

Jason Aldean said he a special message during his speech after winning entertainer of the year.

He paid tribute to the victims of the Las Vegas shooting and said, “To my Route 91 people, you guys are in our hearts always. I love you guys, and we love Las Vegas. Vegas strong, baby. Thank you.”

As the award show was going on  Eric Church, a well known country singer-songwriter, wrote a very emotional song about the 91 Harvest Festival shooting. He actually performed at the music festival on the first day it opened, September 29, 2017. Church made a song that’s dedicated to the victims of the shootings, called “Why Not Me”.

The 53rd Academy of Country Music Awards had great performances form many artists and the special tribute for the Harvest Festival shooting helped with the pain that the country music community as a whole had.