Winter Sports Wrap Up

Boys Basketball 

The boys team had an incredible season and definitely lived up to the hype they received at the beginning of the season. They finished the season with a 26-3 record, a J.P. Flynn Memorial Tournament championship, and a Morris County Tournament championship. Even though they fell to a tough Colonia team in the state semifinals by only one point, the season was still filled with success. The team had very good depth with multiple players making huge impacts. Junior Christian Cevis (411) and senior Ryan Hillier (410) led the team in scoring with Cevis having more than half of the team’s assists on the year and breaking the 100 steals mark. Hillier also reached the 1,000 career point milestone this season. Cam Spady (senior), Jack Leloia (junior), and Ethan Stoute (junior) played huge roles in the team’s success. 

Girls Basketball 

The girls basketball team worked their way to a 13-15 record in the 2019-2020 season. While they may not have had success in the Morris County Tournament, they were able to win two state games, eventually falling to Chatham in the State Sectional Semifinals. Grace Soltes (sophomore) led the team in points (408), rebounds (242), and blocks (46). Junior Maddie Selvaggi wasn’t far behind when it came to scoring, providing a boost to the West Morris offense. Seniors Elizabeth Mancini and Nalani Couvertheir played key roles for the team this year as well.   

Boys Ice Hockey

The hockey team finished with a 10-12-2 record in the 2020 season, more than doubling their win total from last year. They entered the Haas Cup as a 5 seed but fell to 4th seeded Gill St. Bernard in the first round, ending their season. They were led by senior Cameron Veno who was the top goalscorer with 12 on the year. Other key contributors included Tyler Muszelik (sophomore), Andrew Spina (junior), and Jimmy Thompson (freshman). Thompson was the team’s top point-getter, finishing the season with 9 goals (2nd most) and 10 assists (team-high).

Boys Swimming

The boys swim team finished to a 3-5 record at meets this year. Some of the top swimmers this year included Michael Fracciola (senior) who swam his way to 17 first-place finishes this season and finishes his high school swim career with holding 10 school records. Other key contributors included Jordan Ford (senior) and Itay Ben-Yoseph (freshman). 

Girls Swimming

The girls swimming team finished with a 5-3 record at meets in 2019-2020. The top performer was Jackie Flammar (senior) who finished with 19 first-place finishes. Other key contributors included Alex Belen (senior), Shannon Falmmar (sophomore), and Alexandra Lozanguiez (freshman). 

Wrestling 

After losing a large number of talented senior wrestlers last year, there would be a need for people to step up in order to replace those who left. At the X-Calibur Invitational, the Pack finished 3rd, the highest out of all New Jersey schools that participated. With the Team State Sectionals, they were able to make it to the Semifinals, eventually falling to the Section Title Winner, West Essex, by one point. When it came to individual performances, a total of 5 wrestlers from West Morris advanced to the State Tournament. Those fine include Malachi Shepard, Michael Campanero, Kevin Ramos, Eli Shepard (12th place), and Colin Loughney (8th place).