Who’s to say we have a delay?

During this current winter climate, it is usually inevitable for a seasonal school district to experience some cause of delay or closing due to inclement weather. Recent decisions regarding the closing and/or delaying of classes has created a sudden controversy amongst West Morris Central Students.

Once the winter snowfall engulfed the roads of this town, many students claim that road conditions are a serious concern when instructed to remain in school in hope of bettering conditions. But apparently in these instances, the zero degree weather doesn’t necessarily behoove the conditions of the roads.

Not only were students calling the ethics into question, many WMC parents had concerns as well. Although some pertain to the complete opposite of what students are questioning. Handfuls of parent’s find confusion when classes are dismissed early yet in some circumstances snowfall doesn’t arrive until hours later.

With confusion arriving from both spectrums of the community, one must ask what factors determine the overall decision making behind closing, delaying, and dismissing student early. At the leisure of all the members of the West Morris community, central has posted a link on the main website that underlines a majority of these unanswered questions.

The first factor is presented as weather conditions and pending forecasts. If the district has reason to believe that weather conditions will provide a detriment to a student or teachers daily commute, it is taken into careful consideration. The West Morris school district also gets hourly updates from the local police department determining conditions of the main roads.

The availability of staff is also a key factor pertaining to the cancelation of school, many staff members commute from great distances. Considering their own individual safety, if a majority of commuting staff members cannot safely arrive to the school, the district will have no choice but make a decision due to lack of staff.

After considering all of these significant factors, the decision to delay or close school will be made between the morning hours between four and five AM. The carefully measured factors weighing against the delaying or closing of school is not only important to school proceedings but also to the safety of Central students.