The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

Ação de Graças

Wikimedia Commons

Dia Nacional de Ação de Graças is a relatively uncommon holiday celebrated in Brazil. It was enacted into federal law in 1949 by president Eurico Gaspar Dutra, under the suggestion of ambassador Joaquim Nabuco.

Only one state, Pernambuco, has an official celebration as part of the state calendar. This was initiated by the Comitê Brasileiro do Movimento de Resgate do Dia nacional de Ação de Graças (DNAG), and was written into law in 2009. The DNAG suggests celebrating by social action, such as promoting fundraising campaigns for food, toys, clothes and books. They also suggest joining volunteer programs to help the less fortunate, among other charitable activities.

But what does Ação de Graças mean, and when is it celebrated?
Ação de Graças literally translates to Actions of Grace, but the phrase translates to Thanksgiving! In 1966 it was put into law that it would be celebrated every fourth Thursday of November, on the same day as American Thanksgiving.

Joaqium Nabuco suggested that the holiday be created after he attended the celebration of Thanksgiving at the Cathedral of Saint Patrick in New York City. Outside of Pernambuco, Ação de Graças has a more religious connotation, and is mostly celebrated by Protestant and Evangelical churches.