Who is Kevin Durant?

We all know the iconic “KD”, but where exactly did he come from?

Kevin Durant, or “KD” as many loyal fans refer to him as, seems to be the hottest thing to ever hit the basketball courts. We know that he can step foot on any court and be a force to be reckoned with, but who is he exactly?

Durant grew up in Washington DC and was a heavily recruited high school prospect. Before the start of his senior year season, he committed to play basketball at the University of Texas. Following the conclusion of his high school season, he was named the Washington Post All Met Basketball Player of the Year, MVP of the 2006 McDonald’s All-American Game, and was determined to be the #2 high school recruit of 2006.

While in attending the University of Texas, he was the first freshman to ever be named the Naismith College Player of the Year. He only played one season at college before declaring for the 2007 NBA draft. He was selected second overall in the draft by the Seattle SuperSonics. At the conclusion of his first year in the NBA, he was named Rookie of the Year with an average of 20.3 points per game. He joined Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James as the only teenagers to ever average more than 20 points per game.

Following his first season, the SuperSonics relocated and became Oklahoma City Thunder. Durant’s averages steadily rose, and by 2009 he became the youngest ever NBA scoring champion with an average of 30.1 points per game. At the beginning of the 2010-2011 season, he signed a 5 year contract with Oklahoma City for $86 million. During the 2011-2012 season, Durant scored his first 50-point game against the Denver Nuggets and his popularity continued to rise.

In the 2013-2014 season, Durant has been unstoppable. In January, he went on an unprecedented scoring streak, scoring more than 30 points in 12 consecutive games. There seems to be no stopping Durant, and he is certainly one of the hottest NBA players of the year.

Throughout his career, Durant has played for many causes. In 2013, he pledged $1 million to the American Red Cross for the victims of the Moore tornado, which inspired the Thunder and Nike to match his donations. He is also a spokesperson for the Washington DC branch of the non-profit after school music program, P’Tones Records. He is currently engaged to Monica Wright, a WNBA player.