The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

Caitlin Clark- The Best NCAA Player of All Time?

Caitlin Clark is known nationwide as one of the best players in women’s NCAA basketball. Over the last four years during her time at Iowa State, Clark has set a new standard for up and coming players as well as breaking a variety of records for both men and women. Her time with the Iowa Hawkeyes will soon be coming to a close and murmurs of her career in the WNBA are becoming a reality.

Some of Clark’s accomplishments include:

Scoring over 30 points in 55 games during her collegiate career. This surpasses any player in both the men’s and women’s NCAA league over the last 25 seasons.

Clark entered a game in Iowa City needing 18 points to pass Pete Maravich’s total of 3,667 points, amassed in just 83 games over three seasons at LSU (1967-70). She finished with 35 to run her total to 3,685 in 130 games.

17 triple-doubles (including six this season), which ranks second in D-I history behind Sabrina Ionescu (26).

Looking to the future, Clark is expected to be the number one pick for the WNBA draft. In this pick, she is expected by many, including ESPN, to be drafted to the Indiana Fever.

Her transition to the WNBA will be a tough one, and ESPN predicts this will expose any of her defensive weaknesses. A WNBA analyst says, “Whether in the half court or in transition, WNBA teams can take advantage of younger defenders in a variety of ways.” Although Clark is a very strong player, the transition to playing against much physically stronger players will also be a struggle for her as it is for any new professional player.

Clark is currently one of the best in the league of the NCAA, and she continues to impress fans, coaches, and players. If her career with the WNBA continues to be as impressive as her college career, then she will be unstoppable.