Female Athlete of the Month

Student Athlete of the Month-Lia Nowak

Tennis player Lia Nowak is leading her team to success this season. She has had an instrumental role in the team’s 6-1 record with an individual record of 5-2 in her matches. Nowak won the first round of counties, and then went to the second round against Audrey Rha from Whippany Park. When asked her favorite part about playing for WMC girls tennis, she replied, “It’s a good team, and it’s a really fun season overall. It’s not too high pressure.”

Nowak has been playing tennis for her whole life! In the off season, She plays in USTA Tournaments and gets trained by Alexa Glatch.

“I would like to play in college because I really enjoy the sport. I am in the recruiting process right now, I am on a couple of coaches’ radar right now but I am keeping an open-mind because my academics are also a determining factor for college,” Nowak says.

Nowak’s favorite memory of WMC Tennis is during team states last year (2022) playing against Leonia in a three hour match. Nowak won a three-set tie breaker. “I was honestly relieved that I didn’t have to keep running because my legs were so tired. I was also really happy because the girl was difficult, but I finally got to beat her.”

Nowak also plays basketball at WMC. Nowak likes the team-feel of basketball more since the season is much longer than tennis, so there is more of a bonding-opportunity. Nowak also likes the shift to a faster paced sport. “There is a lot more pressure to do good in basketball because it is a lot more high-pressure, because the whole team is counting on you.”

Nowak has advice for future players: “Don’t get too down on yourself after a loss. Because I did that a lot and I wanted to quit multiple times. But those mistakes are what have gotten me to where I am now.” Nowak also feels taking care of her mental health is extremely important during sports season to perform to the best of her ability athletically and academically. Nowak is in the IB CP Program for Life and Health Sciences, so she has a lot of rigorous coursework on her plate in addition to being a multi-sport athlete.

“I am honored to be the first to receive this award for this year, and I would like to thank my parents and coaches for all their support” stated Nowak.