Unified Scores Big in October

Photo courtesy of the WMC Unified Instagram page (@wmcunified)

October was an extremely busy month for West Morris Central’s Unified soccer team, having played five regular season games, as well as in the Special Olympics New Jersey’s Unified Cup tournament. 

Their first home game of the month took place on October 2, 2023 against Hackettstown. While proving to be one of their more difficult games of the season, the team was still able to succeed due to their wonderful sportsmanship skills and strong defense. In the following weeks, Unified then played a stream of more invigorating home games against Voorhees, Mount Olive, and Boonton. This past week, Unified played their final game of the regular season away against Sparta. Both the team’s strategic efforts on the field and ice cream after the game made this victory extra sweet!

On October 22, 2023, Unified brought home the silver at Special Olympics New Jersey’s annual Unified Cup tournament. An incredible team effort was put forward by all participating athletes and partners, allowing the team to appear on the podium at the end of the day. Congratulations on such an impressive victory, Unified!

In addition to remarkable game successes, Unified has also named four new Wolves of the Week throughout the month of October. The Wolf of the Week is a weekly award that is given to the Unified team member that exemplifies leadership, sportsmanship, and the Unified message of inclusion. 

Anthony Lichtenburger and Maddie Booth were Unified’s first Wolves of the Week for October. Sophomore Evan Weinburger was then presented with the award for the week of October 9th. Aiden Hester was the final recipient of this award for the month of October.

The Paw would like to formally congratulate the WMC Unified soccer team on an incredibly victorious season. Not to worry, WMC Unified is still in action this winter! Be sure to stay tuned to see what more the Unified basketball team will accomplish this upcoming season!