The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

Drumline Profile: Mason Pelesky

Mason Pelesky is a senior at West Morris Central and the drumline section leader for WMC’s marching band, the Highlanders. He has been in the band for two years now, performing one year on bass drum and the second on snare. He is also involved in the WMC wind ensemble and concert band. Mason had been influenced by his father at a very young age to play percussion, moving to higher grades to assist their drummers in concerts when he attended Cucinella Elementary School. 

Pelesky explains why he joined the marching band: as, “Ms. English was the one to finally push me to do marching band after pushing me for years, and I’ve always been drawn to percussion instruments ever since kindergarten.” He further claims that he wishes he joined the band earlier and would have if he knew how great of an opportunity it was. 

Not only has being in the Highlanders marching band added to his skill, but it has enhanced Pelesky’s life. He voiced that one of his most cherished moments from being in the band was simply hanging out with former drumline members Gavin Brophy, Peter Vrettos, and Jamie DeLong. Mason’s favorite aspect of being part of the band is “definitely the aspect of being on a team.” Marching band has given Pelesky common interests between him and other band members and allowed him to socialize with people including other members from the Highlanders that are from different sections and other bands met during competitions and football games. 

Last year, Pelesky became very good friends with the 2022-23 section leader, Gavin Brophy, who quickly became a role model for him. Pelesky is Mason was a born leader, and that was thoroughly shown when he was named section leader at the start of this season. Pelesky stated that the reason he enjoys being section leader is that he likes “the idea of being responsible for something I’m passionate about, like, being responsible for a drum line I was part of.” Pelesky wishes the drum line continues to develop and grow and hopes that “we continue on the path of being a good section of the band and I hope the future section leaders continue my traditions.”

Pelesky is graduating West Morris Central in 2024 and planning on becoming a history major at East Stroudsburg University. He never planned on doing marching band in college, but after participating in high school, he specifically looked for colleges with a marching band which helped him in his decision. Mason voiced to the future students of WMC who are considering joining the marching band:, “If you are thinking about it, definitely go for it, it was one of the best decisions I made in high school. And for future percussionists, always practice with a metronome.” 

Mason has made many friends within the band, and has made an impact on many students, whether he was mentoring and teaching them, or being taught. He has made marching band fun for many different people and left a long lasting impression on many. 

Here is what some fellow band members have to say about Mason Pelesky: 

“My favorite Mason memory is probably our first jig 2 of this season and how hype we got. And what I like about him as a section leader is he’s so chill but at the same time makes sure we get everything done and be the best section that we can be.” -Jack Laughlin, bass drum

“I like Mason as a section leader because he is funny and he never yells at us or is strict. My favoring memory was Mason giving me the MetLife stick.” -Gavin Resnick, bass drum

“My favorite memory is getting up on the conductor’s podium with Mason to do our victory “bacon” chant. Mason is an enthusiastic and wise person that always kept me cool in moments of frustration. He has inspired me to be the kind of leader that I am today.” -Will Hoelzel, drum major

“I like how he knows a lot about both football and snare. Like, even though I have been playing percussion for a while he stepped in to teach me a lot because the tenors were a big adjustment. Also, he basically explained everything there is to know about football to me.” -Rachel Dilling, tenors

“He always made sure I was included in drum-line activities even though I wasn’t really officially in drumline. He’s encouraged me to make friends and taught me that playing percussion isn’t all about playing what’s written down, it’s about having fun, being creative and making the songs we play our own. I have to say out of all the memories I have with him my favorite was during my fist jig 2 solo. My family wasn’t able to come to a lot of the games and competitions and my mom wasn’t able to come to see my solo that night. The whole time I was playing he was cheering. After I played we hugged and he encouraged me to continue drumming. He said that he will support me and he will always be at games to cheer me on. This man is one of the best people I’ve ever met and I am honored to have played with him.” -Axel Barnett, pit percussion