The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

New Years Resolutions

2024 is approaching, so that means it’s time to make New Year’s resolutions!

A New Year’s resolution is a tradition in which a person resolves an unfavored behavior, continues good practices, or accomplishes a personal goal. Usually, these resolutions focus on self-care or the treatment of others.

Typically, people say they want to eat healthier, study more, and/or become kinder. According to the Forbes Health/OnePoll, “More people cite improved mental health as a top resolution (45%) compared to improved fitness (39%), weight loss (37%) and improved diet (33%).” It looks like mental health is being focused on more than physical health.

When interviewing WMC students, they seemed to be prioritizing their physical health and athletic careers. Brady Bentrewicz says he wants to focus on “exercising more.” Also, several students are dedicating the new year to their sports. Millie Moir, Mikey Borgia, Mason Vazquez, and Aidan Cuccaro all said they want to practice their sport to achieve their goals as an athlete. Johnny Vierra said, “I want to go to the gym more consistently,” and Riley Cline wants to “get more in shape.”
Other West Morris students mentioned their main goals for 2024. WMC students are aware that what you put into your body determines your health and ability to thrive as a student-athlete. Jack Leonard, Evan Rhymer, and Kelly Morgan, all mentioned resolutions to improve diet. Jack Leonard said, “I want to drink less soda in 2024” and Evan Rhymer said, “I want to drink more milk.”

Commonly, high school students would want to use their new year’s motivation to pick up their grades, especially with college right around the corner. Julia Rojas said she wants to “end the marking period with a majority of A’s.” Lia Nowak says her New Year resolution is to “study for the SATs.” Similarly, Abbie Theesfeld strives to be a better student, and Kascper Strugala wants to ensure he “gets into college.” Also, Julia Campbell mentioned a New Year’s resolution every student should abide by for success: “My New Year resolves to not be late to school.”

Some people dedicate their resolutions to improve treatment towards themselves, and the people around them. Annie Hortz talked about her goals to become a better person, and Sam Rosamilia said, “My New Year resolves to not judge people.” Lucella Cusmano says she wants to “be more confident.”

West Morris Central’s favorites, Mr. Travis and Mr. Hennelly were asked for their resolutions. Mr. Travis is to “lose weight.” Mr. Hennelly said, “I do not have a New Year’s resolution, my life is perfect.”

The truth is, that most people barely withhold their resolutions for more than a month. They require having discipline and utilizing the fresh slate that is a new year. Some tips for resolutions: set reminders, make sure you do at least one thing every day that aligns with your resolution and throw away those things you are trying to eliminate from your life. Have yourself a Happy New Year!