WMC Supports Mr. Travis – A True Friend to All

Jen Sheppard
Mr. Travis with WMC’s 2024 senior wrestlers Left to Right: Lucas Barisonek, Henry DeFrance, Mr. Travis, Brendan McBride, and Sam Rizzuto

In November 2023, LV Hopes, a student-led nonprofit organization, began their initiative to help local families affected by cancer and other severe illnesses. What began as a fundraising idea for an IB Career Programme Personal and Professional Skills project quickly escalated into a town-wide effort to support one of West Morris Central’s highly adored faculty members.

“Travis Strong” bracelets were sold during lunch beginning on November 27, 2023, and at OMG Burger and Brew on November 25, 2023 in support of Mr. Travis’ ongoing battle against cancer. The organization was able to raise just about $2,200 to donate to Mr. Travis and his family as he continues his fight. 

To know Mr. Travis is to love Mr. Travis. From serving as an announcer at various WMC sporting events, to performing the national anthem before games, and even directing traffic on Bartley Road at the end of the school day, Mr. Travis is truly an integral part of the Wolfpack community. However, it is not only his many acts of service that earn him such praise. No matter what role he plays, Mr. Travis never fails to brighten the days of everyone that he encounters with his dazzling charisma and unwaveringly positive attitude. 

Mr. Travis is always looking to leave a cheerful impact and “serve WMC in any capacity that he can.” The student body knew that they wanted to do just the same for him. “I was truly so surprised and overwhelmed by the outpouring of love that I received,” says Mr. Travis. “I was not expecting anything, but it felt so nice to know how much the students cared.” 

Mr. Travis feels “very humbled” and immensely grateful for the ways in which the pack has had his back throughout his cancer journey, even beyond the LV Hopes fundraiser. “I have certainly felt all of the support from the students in the community,” explains Mr. Travis, “but also the administration. They were all very accommodating of all of my doctor’s appointments and other things that I had to take time off for while still allowing me to work. I would always rather be here than just sitting around all day!”

Mr. Travis embodies true human sunshine and positivity, and most certainly what it means to have P.R.I.D.E. (Passion, Respect, Integrity, Determination, and Empathy) in the Pack. “I love what I do; I love the students and the staff,” Travis expresses. “I find that we just have such a caring community that is actually really more like a family, and I am so grateful to have them behind me.”