How to: Survive Until Spring Break

As the dark turns to gray and the snow turns to rain, hope for spring can almost be demolished by the countless hours of homework that add up for students during the February to March months. Sometimes students need a break from schoolwork and taking that break is VERY much needed, but getting work done is critical to staying on top of goals for the future. Rather than giving up on those winter resolutions, try to salvage them and make the most of the rest of the winter. And always remember, spring break is just around the corner!

How to: Stay on top of schoolwork
Using a planner is an essential tool for keeping track of homework, appointments, and any other work that needs to get done. Forgetting homework is the worst feeling in the world, and it’s an even worse feeling when that grade goes in as a zero. So for the best, be sure to always keep track of work, and write it down!
One of the most underrated ways of staying on top of one’s grades is going to a teacher outside of class. Doing this not only shows the teacher that you are trying your hardest to do well in their class, but it also helps one to fully understand the material and clarify any remaining questions that may have come up outside of class time. Nobody understands the material and the way the teacher explains and teaches it better than the actual teacher, so this is a great option for extra help.
Last, but definitely not least, is completing your homework as soon as you get it. Easier said than done, but this advice is especially helpful regarding the hardest class subjects that assign homework every night. Getting behind and procrastinating work can cause extra unneeded stress.
How to: Beat the Cold
If you get frustrated easily with the low temperatures at this time of year, know that you are not alone. Not everyone is able to pick up and go on vacation to a warmer climate, so embracing the cold and finding ways to destress and get moving are critical. If you have seasonal depression, that can make this time of year that much more difficult. Get up, get moving, and beat the rest of the winter by picking up a new hobby or sport.
How to: Stop Hibernating
Cozying up with 3 blankets and a heating pad may sound appealing, but humans are not built to hibernate in the winter. As appealing as sleeping the day away can sound, sometimes our bodies feel worse when we stop moving for a long period of time. So put on some music, clean your room, put on a coat, and even just take a quick walk. If you have a dog, then it’s a bonus for both you and your furry friend.
How to: Not be Tired All the Time
If you seem to be tired even when you get more hours per night, that may be because your quality of sleep is questionable. According to the Sleep Foundation, “exposure to blue light in the hours leading up to bedtime can hinder sleep.” This is because the blue light restricts one’s body from producing melatonin, a crucial chemical in the brain that helps your body wind down and sleep.
If the sleep is there but the darkness outside is still making you want to crawl in bed, then turn to a fan favorite: caffeine! Of course, everything in moderation, but one cup of coffee a day is not shown to have any significant long term effects on healthy adults. Even Mayo Clinic states that “Up to 400 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults.” Interestingly enough, that is about 4 cups of regular brewed coffee which is much more than the one cup that is usually the amount needed for an extra energy boost. Even the Harvard Nutrition Department agrees that coffee is linked to “increased alertness, energy, and ability to concentrate.”
Overall, following these steps to survive until spring break can help you to realize that it really is just around the corner, so get your work done, because break is approaching soon!