WMC Alumnus Spotlight: Michael Burton, Class of 2011 and NFL Star

Former West Morris Central star athlete is living out his professional football dreams in the National Football League.
Photo courtesy of Burton’s Instagram page (@mikeburtonfb)

West Morris Central alumnus Michael Burton is a ten-year veteran National Football League (NFL) fullback for the Denver Broncos. After graduating from West Morris Central High School in 2011 and going on to pursue a rather triumphant collegiate career as a walk-on athlete at Rutgers University, Burton was drafted in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions (2015-16). After playing for the Lions, he went on to play for the Chicago Bears (2017-18), Washington Commanders (2019), New Orleans Saints (2019-20), and even went onto earn a Super Bowl ring with the Kansas City Chiefs (2021-22). 

Burton had an undeniably successful high school football career under head coach Kevin Hennelly. His 1,769 rushing yards, 27 touchdowns, ten school records, title of Morris County Player of the Year, and achievement of the NJSIAA Group 3 title in 2009 are certainly a testament to just how driven he was from such a young age. “I really enjoyed my time here at West Morris Central, both on the field and off the field,” Burton tells The Paw in a sit-down interview. “Coach Hennelly treated us like we were professionals, and from a young age, he taught me to take responsibility for myself and make sure that I was doing all that I needed to in order to be successful. That’s something that I carried with me throughout my career.”

When it came time to continue his athletic career on the collegiate level, Burton knew that he wanted to elevate his game in every way possible in order to reach his ultimate goal of playing in the NFL. For him, that looked like competing at the highest level in college football against some of the toughest competition. He therefore decided to walk-on at Rutgers University. “I had a bunch of smaller NCAA offers at the end of high school,” explains Burton, “but I always thought that I had what it took to play at the Division I level. It just so happened that Rutgers obviously is a New Jersey school, family and friends could come to the games, and it was close to home. It just seemed like a really good fit and walking on was an opportunity that I couldn’t pass up.”

As his time with the Rutgers program progressed and he developed into a starter for 24 out of the 30 games he played in and eventually a team captain, Burton’s path to the NFL became more and more clear. “The accomplishment that I was probably the most proud of from college was being named a captain,” says Burton. “The fact that that title is voted on by your peers shows that there is a level of respect and trust that they have for you to lead them, and that honor is just above and beyond.”

In April of 2015, Burton’s NFL aspirations quickly became his new reality when signed a four-year contract with the Detroit Lions. Burton played two seasons with the Lions, eventually becoming their starting fullback: however, he was waived prior to the start of the 2017 season and claimed by the Chicago Bears, for whom he also played two seasons. After his time with the Bears, he was signed by the New Orleans Saints but was let go by them in their final cuts before the 2019 campaign was set to get underway. He was then picked up by the Washington Commanders and then re-signed by New Orleans to play in 2020. “As a ‘journeyman’ as I like to call it, it can be difficult to move around between teams a lot,” says Burton. “However, my wife and I have a great routine down and she’s been with me through everything. You also have the opportunity to meet a lot of different players and coaches, and build a lot of connections, so I feel like the pros definitely outweigh the cons.”

All of the movement between teams paid off when Burton signed with the-then defending Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs as a free agent in 2021. There, not only did he score his first career touchdown in his seventh year in the league, but he joined a team where a deep playoff run wasn’t just a goal, but it was the expectation. In his first season with the Chiefs, the team fell just short of making it to the big game. This however, only motivated them more as they advanced throughout the following 2023 season. The Kansas City Chiefs were Super Bowl champions once again after a 38-35 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in a thrilling Super Bowl LVII, with Burton walking away with every player’s dream: a Super Bowl ring on his finger. 

But for Burton, it was not just the win itself that left a lasting impact. He recalls that one of his favorite moments from Super Bowl LVII was when kickoff was delayed by five or so minutes, and he used that extra time to “look up into the packed stands and soak it all in…I think in that moment, it was a culmination of all the hard work that was put in, not just that season, but throughout my entire career, really coming to the forefront,” says Burton. “You just think to yourself: Wow, it was a difficult journey to get here, but it was so worth it.”

Signed as an unrestricted free agent on March 15, 2023, Burton has already played one season with Denver Broncos, and will be returning for another in the fall. “In terms of places that I’ve lived and played, Denver holds a really special place in my heart,” explains Burton. “I’ve seen both sides, winning a Super Bowl with the Chiefs and now working to change the culture of the Broncos. It’s something that I think is really special and that I am so proud to be a part of.”

Even after a remarkable collegiate career and a stellar professional career still underway, a humble Burton will forever pay homage to his time at WMC. “I think that there’s a little bit of an underdog mentality here,” explains Burton. “Not the biggest team, maybe not the biggest offensive line. But here at WMC, we win on toughness, we win on condition. There’s this brand of football here that breeds discipline, and I think that I have taken with me throughout my career.”

The story of Michael Burton is one that will forever continue to inspire so many in the Long Valley community, especially the town’s young athletes with similar aspirations. His vast successes on the field, as well as the content of his character truly prove that if you adapt, you can be successful in any field. “My advice would be that if this is a dream for you, or this is a passion, don’t give up. When you do face adversity, when you do face difficulty, keep believing in yourself. No one can believe in you more than you believe in yourself.”

Even though it may seem strange for New Jersey natives to cheer on a western team, Long Valley will be rooting for Denver every fall Sunday.