2014-2015 West Morris Sports Review

Senior Basketball Player Billy Froetscher
Credit: NJ.com

Senior Basketball Player Billy Froetscher Credit: NJ.com

Ryan Forbes, Saff Writer

It was an eventful year for the Wolfpack, teams found success with the leadership of the upperclassmen who have spent their entire high school careers working towards their goals as parts of their team.
Fall sports are some of the most popular at West Morris and usually draw the largest crowds from students. Some of the school’s best programs are involved in fall sports and it was no different this season. Arguably the most popular sport that students come to see at West Morris is the football team, a special tradition has been established where students come to support their teams under the lights on friday nights. After an inconsistent start to the season the team went on a four game win streak late in the season to earn a spot in the playoffs. Graduating seniors include, Jake Alpaugh, Drew Billing, James Bissell, Jonathan Farkas, Joe Harmon, Alex Hughes, Parker Jordan, Ray Law, Andrew Leonard, Matt Lombardo, Stephen McDonough, Kris Rega, Rob Russ, Kevin Sears, Robert Shannon, Kyle Skehan, Collin Sokolowski, Thomas Stoll, Will Sullivan, Connor Thompson, Michael Van Houten, T.J. Vernieri, and Brian Wagner.

The boys soccer team finished with a record of 3-12-1, the team was lead by captains, Kevin Donald, Greg Pease, and Liam Moylan. Graduating Seniors include, Zach Barkovich, David Blackwood, Kevin Donald, Trevor Haas, Matt Krueger, Ben Paine, Greg Pease, Morgan Platt, and Chris Vitali. The girls soccer team had the difficult task of trying to build on a successful season last year where they won the county tournament and won a sectional state title, the team finished with a record of 16-4. Graduating Seniors include, Brooke Carty, Victoria Leyson, Olivia Pescatore, and Madison Williams.

The field hockey team has always been successful and has gone far in the county and state tournament. The team finished with a record of 21-3 and won the NJAC National Division Conference. Graduating Seniors include Allison Heal, Caroline Caldarola, Kayla Mosser, Danielle Rivers, Holly Stenger, Allison Wagner, Katherine Worth, and Mikayla Young.

The track program has always been a popular sport for students to participate in, with a wide variety of different events to choose from there is certainly something for everyone in track and field. The entire team goes through rigorous training sessions practices that help the team maintain their dominance.

The girls volleyball team has been somewhat of a dynasty over the past few years winning many tournaments and continuing to develop talent. The team finished the season with a record of 23-5. Graduating seniors include, Rachel Derech, Olivia Foran, Mariana Gomez, Shannon Hayes, Dakota Koop, Melissa Krueger, Alexa Mataczynski, Jillian Picciuto, Gabriella
Savite, Sarah Spano, and Kat Spilman.

Winter sports include a number of popular options that students enjoy to partake in. The wrestling team finished the season with a record of 17-4, with several wrestlers qualifying for the state tournament after a strong run in the district and regional tournament.

The swim team began their season under the leadership of coach Mr. Beatrice. The team had some strong performances both individually which lead to more success as a team. Graduating Seniors include, Isabella Beatrice, Katie Bryant, Maddie Evans, Denisse Madera, Cassie McKenna, Ben, Neubeck, Kieran Nugent, Katie Sciortino, Lucas Stahlhut, and Ryan Vinh.

The boys basketball team had a strong group of seniors who helped lead the team to a successful season. The varsity basketball team finished the season with a 13-13 record. West Morris also gained another 1000 point scorer when Conor Barron scored his 1000th point of February 17th. Graduating Seniors include, Conor Barron, Kyle Fenske, Billy Froetscher, Tommy Hayes, Sean McElwaine, Sean Roerich, and Brian Wagner. Billy Froetscher talked about the season and how he feels the team performed

“It was nice to spend the last year of high school playing with some of my best buds.”

The girls basketball team had the difficult task of replacing many seniors who graduated the last year. The team finished with a record of 14-10. Graduating Seniors include, Cassidy Buchanan, Amanda Gross, Dakota Koop, Sarah Singer, Madison Williams, and Alexis Woods.

The ice hockey team utilized their wide array of talent at all levels to lead them toward a successful season. The team finished with a record of 13-10-1 and the team made it to the final of the Halvorsen cup. Graduating Seniors include, Connor Duhe, Ray Law, Dan McGillicuddy, Doug Olcese, Brandon Reidinger, and Evan Wineburgh.

Spring sports are also some of the most popular that people participate in. Spring Season’s usually start in early March and end close to graduation. The Boy’s Lacrosse team is trying cope with the loss of many seniors who all served key roles on the team. The team will be looking to make a run toward the end of the season in the county and state tournament. Seniors include, James Bissell, Mike Gutkind, and Blake Izzo. Team Captain Mike Gutkind talked about how the team looks to fare this year.

“We have a strong squad with a lot of young talent, hopefully we can stick together and win a lot of games this year.”

The girls lacrosse team has a strong group of seniors, many of whom will be continuing their college careers in college. The team is also beginning their second season under Coach Seals and seem to be on the right path for long term success. Seniors include, Mackenzie Metzler, Megan Ronceray, Sarah Frankovic, Allison Wagner, Brianna Meola, Victoria Leyson, Katelyn Lindquist, Cassidy Buchanan, Jillian Picciuto, Katie Lindquist, Katherine Worth, and Cameron Dolan.

The baseball team is another team who has a large group of seniors that provide good leadership to the younger players. The team is looking to build off a strong season last year in which they made it to the county final. Seniors Include, Doug Olcese, Andrew Mount, Jackson Weippert, Conor Thompson, Will Sullivan, Conor Barron, Andrew Montgomery, Patrick Kennedy, Robert Shannon, and Dan Bohigian. The Softball team has been one that has found success over the past few years. They will look to replicate that success and carry momentum into the county and state tournament. Ambrose Consol gave his opinion on the status of the team.

“We have a solid squad with lot’s of good players, We all have individual goals and the team altogether shares a common goal. We want to make a run in counties and in states and hopefully win a lot of games.”