The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

The Paw Newspaper

Advancements in WMC Cheerleading

WMC Cheerleading – WMC Cheer Parents Association

With cheerleading tryouts quickly approaching, many improvements have been made to the team and the process. Recent orders have been placed for new uniforms and pom-poms, in-person tryouts have been scheduled, and increased limitations to team numbers have changed expectations. Tryouts will be held on February 29 of 2024 in the Aux Gym.
Sophomore varsity cheerleader, Raffaela Kinney states, “The new uniforms are definitely an upgrade because they look different, they have a different neckline, I believe they are Columbia blue, and they say central instead of WMC.” The ten-year-old uniforms were definitely in need of an upgrade, as well as the pom-poms, old and wrinkled. Cheerleaders are excited to experience these improvements.
This is the first time in four years that in-person tryouts have been held because of Covid. In an interview with Coach Astacio-Banda and Coach Holl, they state that “Many people wanted in-person tryouts.” This is because it can create an unbiased and equal environment for all incoming freshmen as well as returning cheerleaders. Astacio-Banda states, “We called UCA (Universal Cheer Association) and they have specific judges that you can hire that come to your school to level the playing field so that everyone has the same opportunities.” Doing it online gives players so many tries to get the perfect video; however, Coach Holl states it is “more transparent and everyone goes through the same process.” Coaches Astacio-Banda and Holl both agree that it is important to push a game-day experience to all candidates when trying out. Coach Astacio-Banda states, “We want everyone to know that you’re a spirit leader first and we’re able to provide this game day experience. Then you can essentially show off your skills like every other athlete in the school, just doing it a different way.”
The tryouts will consist of a band dance (that Raiders have learned), a fight song, a sideline, a toe-touch jump, and a stunt. The stunts include a prep, a full extension, and a lib (a one legged extension). Cheerleaders can gain additional points by doing a full-down from the stunts. Cheerleaders are provided with open gyms to practice and learn the aura of stunting and tumbling for the big day. There are 91 potential candidates and only 60 spots, 30 on varsity and 30 on junior varsity. The competition is very high! Cheerleaders claim that they are nervous about this change, even if it is for the improvement of the club, as it is new for everyone.
Samantha Rosamillia states, “I definitely think they’re challenging. I think that there’s a lot of room for improvement with all of our skill sets and we have to really practice them to make sure we’re really good on our jumps, our tumbling, stunting, and definitely on the dance too.” Kinney adds, “Having the new tryouts is definitely going to really force people to commit and put in a lot of effort because they are cutting. It’s going to be such a huge competition because they’re are so many girls trying out.”