Annual Pumpkin Fest Goes Rotten

Annual Pumpkin Fest Goes Rotten

Dan Cretella, Staff Writer

Keene State’s annual Pumpkin Festival is usually just a good time for the students at the university, but this year it turned into a full blown riot.

It was a crisp autumn day in Keene, New Hampshire as the students of Keene State University prepared for the annual Pumpkin Fest. We all know how college is, it’s full of parties and fun, but the students took that concept and turned it into complete anarchy this fall.

Heavily intoxicated students started setting fires in the street, smashing bottles left and right, destroying street signs, and even attempting to flip cars.

At some point during the riots groups of students started chanting “Bring out the BearCat!” The BearCat is essentially a tank, granted to Keene after the police claimed that Pumpkin Festival could become a target for terrorism.

According to the Boston Globe, police used pepper spray, tear gas, canine units, swat gear and tasers to subdue unruly partiers. Not only were these students endangering themselves, they were endangering each other.

Multiple students were taken to the hospital for alcohol poisoning and others were seen collapsing and vomiting in the street.

The riots are now over and the community of Keene, New Hampshire has cooled down. But what is not known is how these events could affect the future of Pumpkin Fest or any similar events held around the country.