WMC Rings in a New Bell

The new P.A. system installed at WMC brought a new bell tone, causing mixed opinions from students. (Credit: Flaticon)

In recent weeks, a new P.A. system has been installed at West Morris Central. This introduced a new communication system at the school, as well as a new sound system for the bells in between classes.
Currently, students have been most impacted by the sound of the new bell that this system includes, which many are displeased with. Freshman Olivia Acosta, for example, thinks that the new bell sounds “scary, like an abandoned airport.” Junior Kailyn Davan echoed this comparison, stating “I don’t like it, it sounds like an airport.” Junior Zoey Wang thinks that “…it was a good initiative, but the announcements are still kind of difficult to hear in crowded areas, even with the blue lights.” Her opinion is shared by senior June Gattone, who explained that she prefers the old bell because “it stood out much more in the school day” and junior John Thomas, known by students and staff as JT, who said, “It’s difficult to hear myself when doing the morning announcements. I thought the old system sounded better.” Still, Mrs. Liskiewicz, the assistant principal in charge of safety and security at West Morris Central, claimed that “the bell options were not fantastic” and that the selected one “is probably the best sounding option” and thus “will stay for now.”
The reason for this change was one that was tied to the safety of the staff and students, as it provides many benefits that might be worth what the students agree is a subpar sound. Mrs. Liskiewicz explained that “It’s a better option, just because the old one… was really difficult sometimes to hear and it was a safety issue, so we wanted to make sure that everybody could hear the announcements.”
The new PA system includes many new features that the old one did not, such as the ability to hear announcements both inside and outside of the building, new speakers, and strobe lights that signal announcements in the louder areas of the school such as the band room, main gym, and auditorium. The new PA system also allows for the timing of the bells to be adjusted with what Mrs. Liskiewicz referred to as “a quick switch” if there is an early dismissal or other change to the length of the school day. The bells may also turn off completely in certain areas, which will be helpful during AP and IB testing, in that the bell system will no longer be completely turned off for everyone during that time, just for those testing. Additionally, drills are able to better run under this system, as there are now automated messages for each drill that can be played. Improvements to these messages have already been made, as Mr. Rymer’s voice will now only be looped four times, not indefinitely, as had been practiced in prior drills. Another safety-related feature are the red and white buttons that have been installed in classrooms, allowing for the classrooms to be directly connected to the main office. If there is a more minor need for communication, such as a spill in the classroom, the white button should be pressed, while the red button should be used only for emergencies. This all-call system will increase the safety of students during drills in that the office can be better “aware that the classroom is locked down and it’s safe, or… aware that the classroom is locked down and it might need attention” according to Mrs. Liskiewicz.
Changes are still being made to further improve the new PA system. An additional speaker is being installed outside of the math lot, and a third console is being installed closer to the auditoriums and gymnasiums to allow for better communication in that area. Strobe lights may potentially be added in hallways or outside to notify incoming visitors that an announcement is being made.
Mrs. Liskiewicz would like students to know that they “really just need to pay attention to whatever messages are being played, and if they do see the strobes, [know] that it’s on for a reason and they need to listen.”