Decades After the Publication of To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee Announces the Release of her New Novel

The cover of Go Set a Watchman, released on March 25th.

Catherine McGarry, Staff Writer

February 3rd of this year was an exciting day for fans of Harper Lee’s adored novel, To Kill a Mockingbird because the author herself gave news that a sequel to the book, called Go Set a Watchman, is to be released on July 14th. Many who grew up with her book and adored it throughout the years couldn’t help but revel in elation.

Contrary to the idea that Go Set a Watchman was written after the success of Lee’s first published novel, which is what most believe when they hear that the new book is going to be a sequel to the previous, Go Set a Watchman was actually written before To Kill a Mockingbird. Tonja Carter, Lee’s local attorney, stumbled upon the manuscript, which Lee had misplaced years ago, close to 7 months prior to it being released to the public that it was in existence. After a significant amount of contemplation and numerous meetings with her editor, Lee decided to publish it.

“I hadn’t realised it had survived, so was surprised and delighted when my dear friend and lawyer Tonja Carter discovered it. After much thought and hesitation I shared it with a handful of people I trust and was pleased to hear that they considered it worthy of publication. I am humbled and amazed that this will now be published after all these years,” reports Lee.

The book is set 20 years in the future from her first book and tells the story of Scout’s return to Maycomb county and her revisitation with her father, Atticus. Theguardian.com claims that many other characters from To Kill a Mockingbird will be seen in the new book as well.

There seems to be a controversy on whether releasing a sequel to one of the most beloved books in the country is a sensible decision, for there is the chance that the book will not measure up to its predecessor and be something of a disappointment.

Sophomore, Brielle Rapach says, “I read To Kill a Mockingbird my freshman year and absolutely loved it! I find it hard to believe that the new book won’t be just as great.”

Lee, aware of the pressure, comments that  “[the book is] a pretty decent effort.” She appears to be somewhat confident that it will impress its readers and live up to its hype.

Along with the advertisement coming from the excited fans of To Kill a Mockingbird, the new book is also receiving some celebrity publicity. Reese Witherspoon was given the opportunity to be a lucky first reader of the novel, which has been carefully guarded from the public. The reason being that she is to become the narrator of the book’s audio tape.

Joana Guaimanian, sophomore at WMC, who shares the same excitement as all other Harper Lee fans, says that “[she] can hardly wait for July 14th!”