WMC Investigates – The 8 Passengers Scandal

An image of the Franke family taken in 2015. Ruby Franke is pictured wearing yellow in the center of the image.

Ruby Franke, the mother of six behind the sensational family Youtube channel 8 Passengers, has been charged with six counts of felony for child abuse. For many, the arrest was no surprise, given the hundreds of videos uploaded over several years that had sparked criticism of her strict parenting style.

Franke was the creator of the 8 Passengers YouTube channel, which launched in 2015 during an increase in popularity for family vlogging channels that were monetizing off of the platform. Nearly a year later, her videos had gained tens of thousands of views. The videos that she edited served as a  window into her life, depicting a typical Mormon suburban family home-schooling, cooking, eating, and ultimately just enjoying each other’s company. According to an article by BBC News, Franke told local news stations at the time that filming herself with her family helped her “live in the present and just enjoy the kids.”

However, some moments raised the concerns of many of the channel’s viewers. Sources told NBC News that in one video, Franke could be seen telling her sons they would “lose the privilege to eat dinner” if they continued play-fighting. In another, she said that her six-year-old “needed” to go hungry after forgetting to take her lunch to school. “Hopefully nobody gives her food and nobody steps in and gives her a lunch, because then she’s not going to learn,” she told the camera. 

An off-the-cuff comment made by Franke’s teenage son brought her parenting approach to the attention of more mainstream audiences outside of the family vlogging world. In a 2020 video, he revealed that his bedroom had been taken away for seven months and he was instead sleeping on a beanbag chair, after playing a prank on his younger brother. The tone of the discussion was light; however, many viewers were deeply disturbed by the incident. A petition started by one viewer demanding an investigation brought in thousands of signatures and child protective services were called. This controversy marked the beginning of the end for “8 Passengers.” While the family once posted daily videos, uploads began to cut down to two to three times a week, and then none at all before the channel was deleted.

Following the downfall of the family channel, Franke began to frequently collaborate on parenting and relationship advice videos with business partner Jodi Hildebrant. Hildebrant’s life coaching service was often criticized for its extreme teachings, including rejecting children who do not abide by her beliefs. 

One late August morning, Utah law enforcement had found Franke’s twelve-year-old son malnourished and with open wounds and duct tape on his wrists and ankles. The boy had climbed out of a window in Hildebrant’s home and ran to a neighbor’s house to seek help. Franke’s ten-year-old daughter was also found at Hildebrant’s home in a similarly emaciated condition. Officials told NBC News that the condition of the children was so severe that they were transported to a local area hospital. Franke’s four other minor children were taken into the care of Utah’s Division of Child and Family Services. 

On Friday September 1, 2023, Franke and Hildebrant appeared virtually in court for the first time. Both women had been arrested and charged with six counts of child abuse, each charge carrying a maximum penalty of fifteen years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Additionally, a judge ruled that the two will remain in custody without bail. The next hearing for both women was scheduled for September 21, 2023, however has been postponed until further notice.