Earthquakes Shake Afghanistan

Earthquakes in Afghanistan left destruction in their wake. Photo courtesy of Save the Children via AP.

Over the course of only five days – October 11 to October 15, 2023 – three earthquakes, each of a magnitude of 6.3 on the Richer scale, hit western Afghanistan. According to an article by Reuters, more than 2,400 people were killed. Janan Sayeeq, the spokesman for the Ministry of Disasters, told Reuters that over a thousand houses were damaged or destroyed. Additionally, an article by PBS states that in the village of Naib Rafi, almost only men working outside at the time of the earthquake survived its tremors.

Citizens have been greatly affected by the earthquakes on an emotional scale, as well as by the destruction that the earthquake has left in its wake. According to PBS, Mir Agha, a volunteer from Herat, stated that “[i]t is very difficult to find a family member from a destroyed house and a few minutes to later bury him or her in a nearby grave, again under the ground.” 

Rebuilding after the catastrophe has been challenging. PBS describes how bulldozers are currently being used to clear areas to create space for graves. As stated by NPR, the Afghan National Disaster Management Agency (ANDMA) does not have access to the resources that they need and have been using sticks, shovels, and sometimes bare hands to rescue survivors from debris. According to Reuters, beds were set up outside of hospitals to further accommodate victims. Additionally, the infrastructure in some parts of the country has been damaged by war, and healthcare of the country is suffering due to lack of foreign intervention following the Taliban’s rise to power, laying the foundation for a difficult recovery. 

However, there is hope for Afghanistan’s recovery. For example, the UN stated that they have been giving supplies and medicine to hospitals as well as organizing health and nutrition teams. Additionally, the WHO has launched an appeal for $7.9 million for support over the next six months. Afghanistan’s recovery will be challenging, but possible.