Preserving the Past, Celebrating the Present and Continuing on with the Importance of Holiday Traditions

Traditions make the holidays special. From simple holiday traditions that millions of people share to unique holiday traditions that only your crazy family could have ever dreamed up, traditions give us something to remember from every year gone by and something to look forward to in every year ahead
Joey Benevento

Despite many traditions being different depending on the holiday that people celebrate, holiday traditions provide an opportunity for families and friends to come together and celebrate to create lasting memories. Traditions often have deep cultural roots that can help people connect with their heritage, identity and their family, from their generation to the next. These traditions provide a sense of belonging and pride, from someone’s younger self to their older version.
One of the most beautiful aspects of holiday traditions is the ability to showcase the richness and diversity of cultures. From Christmas to Hanukkah, Diwali to Kwanzaa, each tradition holds a unique meaning and custom for someone. By embracing the traditions and beliefs, people gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for the various communities with different cultures that coexist in our global world. These traditions foster a sense of shared history with cultural identity and bonds that help strengthen relationships that are cherished by individuals and passed down through many generations.
For example, a student at WMC Madeline Finer says her favorite family tradition during the holiday is to “drive around neighborhoods with my family looking at the Christmas lights surrounding people’s houses. It makes me feel happy doing it with my family. I did it ever since I was young and will always remember the happiness of what it made me feel. I want to continue to do this as I get older”. It truly brings people from all over together, uniting them despite many differences in what they celebrate, and where they live.
Holiday traditions have a magical way of breaking down barriers and bridging divides. Regardless of one’s background or beliefs, the shared experience of celebrating traditions creates a common ground for connection. Addy Bray, a student at WMC says that her way of connecting with people especially outside of her family is “Giving. I love to go shopping and buy presents for people. It allows me to focus on what really matters.
Within families, traditions provide an opportunity for storytelling, passing on cultural heritage, and creating a sense of belonging that transcends any differences that may exist but beyond family settings, holidays can foster a sense of community and belonging. The shared experiences remind us of our shared humanity and the importance of unity in a world that is often divided by differences.
By embracing holiday traditions from different cultures allows for personal growth and learning. It opens doors to new experiences, perspectives, customs and beliefs and more importantly acceptance. By incorporating elements from diverse traditions, individuals can create their unique celebrations that honor both heritage and humanity.

Ultimately, holiday traditions possess a remarkable ability to bring people together, transcending differences and creating a sense of community and unity. By appreciating cultural diversity, breaking down barriers, strengthening bonds with family and friends, building community connections and promoting learning and adaptation with new ideas and beliefs, traditions can become a powerful tool for understanding, compassion and love. This holiday season, let us become better versions of ourselves and embrace the unity that lies within our shared traditions.