Help Is Everywhere

Rob Boyle, Marketing Operations Director
mental health and wellness at work; tips

Mental health in schools is a serious matter that affects not only students but teachers and guidance counselors as well. Within our school, we have Mrs. Ellsworth, student assistance counselor and Mrs Cartier, wellness counselor who both offer individual counseling sessions, class sessions, and mindful zen zone sessions during lunch.

For students, mental health issues can occur in various ways, including anxiety, depression, behavioral problems and substance abuse. These issues can damage a student’s ability to learn, participate in school activities, and build relationships with their peers. Additionally, students with mental health concerns may be at a higher risk for dropping out of school, engaging in self harm or experiencing any other negative outcomes according to Suicide Prevention Resources. Furthermore WMC junior Robbie Farino also states “Mental health is very important and affects me in a lot of negative ways, ” due to the stress at school and at home that affects her on a daily basis.

Mrs Cartier also mentioned that there is hotlines for support such as 988- if you are feeling like you need to talk or are feeling suicidal.

Mrs Cartier also sends out a monthly newsletter with a variety of resources that goes to all faculty, parents and students if they ever need them with all the stress and thoughts that are surfacing. Mrs Cartier also attends health classes where she talks about mental health and how to access support including group sessions at lunch that offer support to students on a variety of concerns. In addition, by the main office next to Ms. Ellsworth’s office, A131. There is a self care station which is stocked with a variety of tools to help students regulate their mood and manage difficulty during the school day including play doh, coloring books etc.

Students are often posting on social media about their self identity that lead to friends, family, teachers being concerned about them. The guidance counselors and wellness counselors assess them by talking and asking questions. By doing so, “we can determine their level of risk and what supports are necessary to help them navigate the school day. If they seem to need additional support we can help them to develop the appropriate tools so that they can remain in school and not let whatever they are struggling with get in the way of their education” stated Mrs Cartier, who works closely with her peers to develop programing and interventions to support the students and staff at West Morris Central. Interventions like the zen zone, health classes, therapy dogs coming in during gym and so on support students with what they need.

By prioritizing mental health, especially in the winter which is known as a time for seasonal depression, we can create a safe place where students can thrive academically and emotionally and teachers and guidance counselors can focus on themselves for a change. Everyone matters, and everyone needs support. Mrs Carter also declared that “You all matter to me and I work daily to make sure that this school climate shows how important every one of you is! The world needs each and everyone one of you.”