Why Did George Santos Get Expelled From the House?

Getty Images

George Santos:

US Congressman George Santos is facing potential expulsion from the House of Representatives after less than a year in office.
Santos has always been accused of lying and embellishing his life before he was in office. The New York Republican claimed he owned college degrees which was proved untrue and stated his confusion over whether he’s Jewish – or “Jew-ish.” Also, in his campaign biography between April 2022 and October 2022, he said his grandparents “fled Jewish persecution in Ukraine, settled in Belgium, and again fled persecution during WWII” before settling in Brazil. His Brazilian-born parents eventually immigrated to the US “in search of the American dream.” On November 19, 2022 Santos addressed the Republican Jewish Coalition summit, saying his election meant that “now there will be three” Jewish Republican members of Congress. Also, Santos published his Position Paper claiming to be “a proud American Jew.”
According to the George Santos Campaign Website, his mother was “in her office in the south tower” of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. His campaign’s website said that she survived the attack, only to die several years later. Also, in his resume, Santos claimed he graduated from Baruch College and continued working for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs. However, Representatives for Baruch and New York University told NBC New York that they have no record of his attendance.
In an interview with The New York Post on December 26, 2022, Mr. Santos admitted he lied about graduating from Baruch College, or any other higher institute of learning. He also said he has yet to work for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs. He said this was solely “a poor choice of words.”
After several reports and background checks, specifically published by The Forward, Mr. Santos admitted he embellished his life. He even admitted he never owned property across New York after previously emphasizing it in his resume. He said he “misrepresented” his faith, telling the New York Post that he’s Catholic and that he said he was “Jew-ish” after learning that his maternal family had a Jewish background. In addition, it was revealed that his mother who died in 2016 was not in the US on 9/11. Mr.Santos apologized to City & State New York for embellishing his resume and told WABC radio that he has not “ever committed any crimes” in the U.S. or abroad. A Newsday/Siena College poll finds that 78 percent of voters in Santos’s congressional district want him to resign for his lies.
The amount of fabrications told by George Santos urged The Nassau County District Attorney to open an investigation into Santos. They said, “The numerous fabrications and inconsistencies associated with Congressman-Elect Santos are nothing short of stunning. … No one is above the law and if a crime was committed in this county, we will prosecute it.” Through investigation, The Campaign Legal Center filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission accusing Geroge Santos of using campaign funds to pay personal expenses and concealing the origins of a $705,000 loan Santos made to his campaign.
Mr Santos was indicted on 13 criminal charges including fraud, theft of public funds, money laundering, and making false statements to Congress. Also, in October he was charged with conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, two counts of wire fraud, two counts of aggravated identity theft, two counts of making false statements to the Federal Election Commission (FEC), two counts of falsifying records to the FEC, and access device fraud. Santos has denied any of these wrongdoings so a trial will occur on September 9, 2024.
Mr. Santos’ position in Congress was jeopardized because fellow New York Republicans demanded his expulsion from Congress. If two-thirds of the representatives vote on this, he will be expelled. However, since Republicans make up the majority of the House of Representatives it is unlikely they will want to give up a Republican candidate that easily, despite his continuous wrongdoings. However, The House of Representatives finally voted 311-114 to expel Santos, making him the sixth House member to ever be expelled in a vote of Congress.