NFL Wildcard Predictions

The NFL season has come to an end after 18 weeks and the playoffs have been set. Earlier in the year I made predictions on how I thought the season would go and almost all of them have been somewhat correct. However, this is a new slate and I will be predicting how each round of the playoffs will go.

AFC

(4) Texans Vs (5) Browns

This is one of the many games in this year’s playoff that make it seem like the league is scripted. We have the Texans, a team who just last year held the number 2 overall pick after trading away their franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson because of his sexual misconduct allegations to the Browns. Then the Browns stunk with him for the past 2 years then after he got hurt they brought in former division rival Joe Flacco out of retirement and he’s lighting up the league again. The Texans are heavily elevated by the play of rookie quarterback C.J stroud who has amazed me and other fans around the league with his high tier of play despite not having the best weapons to throw too. The Browns however, have the team elevating the play of the quarterback with a stacked roster which is somehow still extremely competitive despite all of the injuries they have faced throughout the season. The Texans have an elite offense but an inconsistent defense and the Browns have an elite defense but an inconsistent offense. I think this game will be extremely close so i’m going to go with my heart on this one.

Texans 27 – Browns 24

(3) Chiefs vs (6) Dolphins

Another seemingly scripted matchup. The Dolphins with Tyreek Hill who left the Chiefs 2 years ago now gets his matchup that he has wanted in Arrowhead Stadium against the Chiefs who have struggled with their receivers since he has left. They already have played this year with the Chiefs winning that game in Germany which showcased the biggest problems with both teams this year. The Dolphins can’t win big games because of the lackluster play of Tua Tagovailoa in the big moments. The Dolphins are also 1-6 against teams with an above .500 record. The Chiefs have struggled this year with their offense weapons. Travis Kelce has had an awful year for his standards and has shown his age this year, dropping some easy touchdowns and looking slow on the field. Maybe the dropping passes part is contagious and he got infected by Kadarius Toney and Marquez Valdes-Scantling who contributed to the Chiefs leading the league in dropped passes. Mahomes also deserves to have some criticism as he’s been trying to do too much and making stupid errors for a lot of the second half of the season. I think this game will be close too as both teams match up well.

Chiefs 20 – Dolphins 17

(2) Bills vs (7) Steelers

I don’t know how the Bills were able to get the two seed this year and I don’t know how the Steelers were able to have 10 wins this season but here we are. I think the result of this game is simple. The Steelers offense has been horrible and their defense lost their best player to injury this week in TJ Watt. The Bills have won 6 out of 7 and have finally figured out how to win close games. Josh Allen needs to lay off the turnovers in the playoffs as it has been the main struggle for this team but typically he takes care of the ball better in the postseason. I really don’t see much competition in this game. Sorry, Steelers fans.

Bills 27 – Steelers 10

NFC

(4)Buccaneers vs (5) Eagles

Man, the Eagles have one of the best rosters ever but this coaching staff is horrible. It has gotten to a point where I believe they just run the team like its rec and let everyone just do whatever they want. On offense it’s either a deep ball, a slant or a screen. On defense it’s just one on one isolation coverage with cornerbacks who aren’t good enough to do that. The Eagles ended the season losing 5 of their last 6. Including losses to the Cardinals and Giants and both those teams are picking in the top 6 of the draft. On the other hand, Baker Mayfield had the Buccaneers rolling in November throwing for 10 touchdowns and 0 interceptions during that span. He was also solid in December but in his last 2 games against the Saints and Panthers it’s clear that he isn’t totally healthy after he bruised his ribs during the Colts game. I really hope Baker bakes this secondary and takes down the Eagles and I believe he would if healthy, but I don’t see this offense beating this team

Update: Jalen Hurts and A.J Brown have both suffered some significant nagging injuries to their finger and knee respectively. Receiver Devonta Smith is still walking around in a boot. If these injuries heal up I might revert to my original opinion. But it’s going to be changed here for now
(if A.J Brown and Jalen Hurts play without limitations Eagles win 24-21)

Buccaneers 21 – Eagles 17

(3) Lions vs (6) Rams

The Lions have won the division for the first time since 1993 and of course they play against their long term fan favorite quarterback Matthew Stafford for the first time in Detroit since he was traded. Stafford will look to ruin his former team’s hopes of winning a playoff game for the first time since 1991. This Lions defense has looked shaky at some points in the year giving up the second most yards per pass at 7.8. Meanwhile the Rams not only have the eighth best rushing attack but the ninth best passing attack too. Both of those positions spotlighted by 5th round picks Puka Nacua who broke the rookie receiving record and Kyren Williams who was third in the league in rushing yards despite missing 4 games. Detroit however ranks in the top five for both passing and rushing offense. It’s safe to say this game is going to be a shoot out.

Lions 38 – Rams 35

(2)Cowboys vs (7) Packers

Cowboys and Packers rematch! Mike Mccarthy has to coach against his former team who has completely rebuilt since his last time there. The Packers have the youngest team in the NFL and the way they are playing is extremely impressive. Jordan Love has developed into a near elite quarterback being second in the league in passing touchdowns in his first year starting. Although the Packers offense and defense has struggled with injuries throughout the season, they have willed themselves into the playoffs with a 9-8 record. The Cowboys however have had the most explosive offense in the NFC this year, dominating almost every single team at home with a +172 point differential at Jerry World. Scoring 40 points four times, and 30 points three times. However, like most top contenders at the end of the season they have looked extremely beatable. It’s really inconvenient that the Cowboys have to run into the newly healthy, young, and explosive Packers in the first round. I’m 50/50 on this game but I think it could be potentially the best game of Super Wild Card Weekend.

Cowboys 31 – Packers 27