Week One Wolf(packed) with Big Games

This week, West Morris field hockey and football opened up their seasons with big games against rivals. The school has been filled with excitement about the games this week with the football game being USA themed on Friday. The home game against Parsippany Hills is expected to be a difficult opening to the season. However coaches believe the team will succeed and many new players will rise to the occasion.

When asked about who the starting quarterback after a long preseason, Frayne said “We have Hagler who’s a senior and we also have Spano who’s a sophomore. Both good characteristics, but right now splitting times probably best for both of them.”

Spano ended the game with 160 yards and a touchdown. The wolfpack offense was also strong with standout sophomore running back Jack Dipietro who had 2 receptions for 97 yards and a touchdown with 47 rushing yards and two touchdowns .

The back field was also complimented by senior running back, Matt Foster who had 57 rushing yards and a touchdown. The final score of the game was 31-27, Par Hills. The football team this year will be led by senior captains, Bryce Sokolowski, PJ Wright , Rourke Colligan and Tom Pellegrino.

Girls field hockey was defeated by Hackettstown, Wednesday afternoon with the final score being 3-1.

Sarah Bietka had high hopes for the team saying, “I think we will do pretty well, we have been doing well in our scrimmages.”

Bietka now a sophomore, started freshman year on varsity and contributed to the overtime win against Hackettstown last season. This years opening game against the Tigers was an intense and rainy match, where the rivals got the best of the wolfpack. In the first half, Hackettstown scored two goals, after half-time West Morris came back with intensity and slamming a shot on the goal.

Sophomore midfielder, Elle Collins stated, “ The team is continuing to grow and will hopefully play more as a family.”

As the game was coming to an end Hackettstown scored in the last seconds against the West Morris team. However, the season still looks good for the girls, with their next game against Mount Olive, Thursday afternoon. This year the WMC field hockey team will be led by Allison Egan, Jess Gutowski, Faith Spaziano and Johanna Diehl. Overall, both field hockey and football worked hard despite tough loses. Let’s go wolfpack!