Turkey Trot

The WMC Memorial Turkey Trot is a community event held in memory of Kyleigh D’Alessio and Tanner Birch, two former WMC student. Since this tradition began, Jay Herrigel had been in charge of organizing the 5K.

Mr. Herrigel has been apart of the WMC community not only as a teacher and track coach, but as a former student as well. After graduating from the University of Delaware, he came back to WMC as a physics teacher and coach for cross country and spring track.

Unfortunately, Mr. herrigel relocated to Florida following the 2016 school year. Despite losing a vital asset to the event, the WMC Recreation Committee has picked up the Memorial 5K race in order to preserve the tradition and raise awareness for the importance of probationary licence restrictions.

On December 21, 2006, a car driven 17-year-old Tanner Birch with 16-year-old Kyleigh D’Alessio and two other WMC students as passengers crashed into a tree along Fairview Avenue in Long Valley. Unfortunately, Birch and D’Alessio did not survive the accident.

Following the horrific loss of yet another teeager in New Jersey due to motor vehicle accidents, “Kyleigh’s Law” was enacted through the joint effort of lawmakers, Law-enforcement officers, community members and Kyleigh’s Family and friends. This prompted WMC faculty to organize the 5K in her and Birch’s memory.

This year, the date of the annual 5K race will be changed from the spring to Thanksgiving Day, hence the name change to “Turkey Trot”. By doing this, the Rec Committee hopes to encourage more alumni participation and to make the race a community event.

Regardless of whether you run, walk, or jog, this event is all about togetherness and honoring Kyleigh D’Alessio and Tanner Birch.

Many WMC alumni, current students, and teachers are participating in this race, as well as working behind the scenes to ensure a successful event.