Dear Class of 2020: 15 Things That You Made Our Childhood, WAY Different Than Yours

Alyssa Spady, Editor-In-Chief

Dear Class of 2020,

You all have started this year as scared freshmen moving up to the big school with kids that are either way older than you or just a year or two apart from you, wherever you may land, here are some things that you may here upperclassmen reference and you were either too young to remember or not even born for.

1. You are the first class that was not alive during the 9/11 attacks: Although many of us were only one or two years old at the time of the attacks, it is still a really interesting fact because it is the second time that the U.S had an attack on home soil that resulted in mass casualties.
  1. You wernellye born when songs like Hot in Herre, Foolish, and Bootylicious topped the Billboard Top 100 Charts: These songs and others are considered “classics” to you, but to the vast majority of us they are still considered our dance anthems.

Hot in Herre Album Cover Courtesy of Wikipedia and Nelly

1. Before Kim & Kanye and Beyonce & Jay-Z, there was Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears who sadly ended their dream relationship in 2002:2020

Justin and Britney Courtesy of EOnline

1. Movies like; 8 Mile, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Austin Powers in Goldmember all debuted in 2002:

20202

Pictures Courtesy of Wikipedia and Quotesgram

1. Shows like Kim Possible, That’s So Raven, and Lizzy McGuire all debuted in 2002:

20203

imdb                Collegecandy                                      Playbuzz

1. NSYNC broke up: The One Direction of our childhood came to a crushingly sad ending in 2002.

nsync

Photo courtesy of Collegecandy

1. Justin Timberlake drops his first single album, JustifiedFor those still in shambles from NSYNC’s break up, this was the only way to get over the pain.    Songs like Senorita, Cry Me a River, Rock Your Body, and Let’s Take a Ride gave NSYNC fan-girls a new
    person to canvas their walls with. 
  1. The Bachelor debuts on March 25th: A new meaning for a single rose came to be in 2002, all stood by their TV waiting until the final rose was given.
  1. Yao Ming, Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Nene Hilario, and Amare Stoudamire are all drafted to the NBA:

nba

Courtesy of NBA.com

1. Two Snipers in the Washington D.C. area kill 10 and injury 3 more causing panic: Dubbed the Beltway Sniper Attacks, it was a 22 day mass killing spree in which two men killed  people and injured 3. These attacks were later moved from a killing spree to being called a Serial killing. The attacks were not held to just the Washington D.C. area, the attacks spilled over into area in Maryland and Virginia.
  1. Gaming systems included the PS2, Gamecube, GBA, and the XBOX: No advanced gaming attachments like the VR headsets and handhelds that we all love today were available to the public.
  1. Popular games to play included; GTA Vice City, GTA III, Battlefield 1942, Spiderman, and Kingdom of Hearts: All classics that now have become popular games series’ today.
  1. Popular fashion trends included: Color coding EVERYTHI2020NG, Lounge
    wear was a must, plasters were used as face “decals”, one leg up one leg down pant legs, just to name a few.

Courtesy of Buzzfeed.com

1. You all have iPhone and have never known the struggles: You all have autocorrect, internet, and can send picture texts without getting charged big money. Unfortunately we had the Nokia 3610
  1. The WMC Class of 2020 was born: The newest addition to the WMC family has become the most interesting year. Not only is their graduation year pretty cool but they are the second class to have their birth years in the 21st century.