Gavin Drown- November Athlete of the Month

Julie Githens

Congratulations to senior Gavin Drown for being selected as November’s student athlete of the month! Drown was selected on this achievement for his outstanding efforts in football.
Drown plays wide receiver and safety for West Morris. His stats for his high school career from NJ.com comes to a total of 467 receiving yards and 5 total touchdowns. He has played all four years of high school, but has been playing football for a total of twelve years. Drown states that his favorite memory of football in high school is “winning against Old Tappan in the State Sectional championship.” This game was exciting for everyone, as WMC was definitely considered the underdogs to achieve this title and win the sectional championship. Drown’s favorite part of his whole high school career was “winning and going on a run with [his] teammates in the playoffs.”
His least favorite part of football was the summer practices. Football is certainly a physically demanding sport, so it is no surprise that the summer practices are regarded as the least favorite part of the season as they are often extremely tiring.
As far as coaches go, he believes that the football coaches are tough on the team, but it is “all in good spirit” to push the team to become the best they could possibly be.
If given the opportunity, Drown would tell his freshman self to “be more careful in basketball and not break [his] wrists.”
Drown is hoping to continue playing football in college as well as study physical therapy. Congratulations, Gavin!