Shoot Your Shot and Join WMC Archery!

The WMC archery club logo by Radha Pilli.
Radha Pilli

Archery is one of the most beneficial activities to participate in, but also one of the lesser known here at WMC. Whether you are an expert in the sport, have shot an arrow once or twice before, or have never seen a compound bow in your life, the WMC archery club will welcome you with open arms! As co-captain and four-year-member of the WMC archery club, I support that from its widespread benefits, accessibility, and opportunities to meet new people, archery is the perfect club to get involved in this school year.
The WMC archery club is run through the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP). According to their website, this organization seeks to promote “focus, self control, discipline, patience, and the life lessons required to be successful in the classroom and in life,” giving it an impact that expands beyond scoring well in competitions. When asked what the club’s impact was, sophomore member Ash Gattone said “it’s taught me to take your time and wait for the right moment before following through. Not only in archery, but in real life too.”
Unlike most other sports, archery isn’t based on physical ability, but rather mastering precise techniques. For this reason, it is the perfect opportunity for those who aren’t athletic in a traditional sense to still get the rush of competition and success. I’m unable to do a single pull-up, yet managed to place tenth in the NASP state competition my sophomore year. Archery also is significantly less time-consuming than other sports. There is only one practice each week, and it is only an hour long. Senior member Ava Pagano mentioned that she initially joined archery because she “…didn’t want to commit to a sport but wanted to do something similar and become more active.” Still, the competitions for archery are an exciting opportunity to test your skills. According to co-captain Radha Pilli, “[competitions feel] tense with all the adrenaline, but it is when I learn the most.” The WMC archery club participates in friendly competitions with Warren Hills High School (and hopefully more high schools that have recently adopted archery for the 2023-2024 school year) as well as a state competition that can potentially qualify individuals for Eastern Nationals.
Joining the WMC archery club will also introduce you to people you may have never met before. Co-captain Radha Pilli stated that she “…enjoyed the team bonding between everyone and how everyone, regardless of experience, was willing to learn from their failures and successes and share them with others.”
Though the club fair has already passed, it’s never too late to join archery! Contact Mr. Ehasz to sign up.