Tail-Wagging Fun: Dog Surfing

Tail-Wagging Fun: Dog Surfing

Maddie Shiembob

Last week, dogs across the globe competed in the Unleashed: Petco Surf City Surf Dog competition in California. Some dogs were from Brazil, Australia and parts of Europe. The event on Huntington Beach, Orange County welcomed 68 canines to surf in the multi-heat contest. The dogs participated in heats based on their weight.

How do you win a dog surfing competition? The dogs were judged based off of their skills, how long their ride was and their confidence while surfing. Some dogs decided to surf with their owners or even other dogs!

“Dogs are very athletic and they can balance themselves easier than their human companions,” said Ed Presnillo, owner of participating dog, Kole. “The more experience he gets, the more he likes it.”

The winners of the event are scored by World Surf League Judges. Prizes were awarded to the top dogs but all canines received a participation medal. The event raises money for dog charities in the Orange County area.

Because of choppy conditions the morning of the event, the organisers provided lifeguards for the dog’s safety. The lifeguards were stationed on the beach and in the water just in case dogs were falling off their boards. Also life jackets were mandatory for all canines in the water. Besides the rough waters, the dogs and owners had a great time.

Chloe Simonson, student at WMC and dog-owner of Smudge and Divot stated, “ I think dog-surfing is super funny and cool!”

Out of 20 students surveyed, 20 “would watch dog surfing” and 12 students said yes to “ allowing their dog to participate.” Also 10 students said yes to “training their dog to surf.”
Dog surfing has grown tremendously over the years.However, now dogs are participated in skateboarding, base jumping, paragliding and much more with the help of their owners. Many of these dogs are going viral, like Otto the skateboarding bulldog.    Your dog could be next!

Picture: Otto the bulldog broke world record for “longest human tunnel travelled through by a skateboarding dog.”

Credit: metroradio.co.uk

Dogs teaming together to surf towards shore!

credit : Gregg Deguire (telegraph)