Controversial New Changes for Phys. Ed Students

The school year has just begun, and all students from freshmen to seniors are being faced with a new requirement for gym class. For each gym participant, a timed mile as well as push up and pull up tests are necessary for three marking periods, with improvement needed on each. The consequence of doing worse than the time before is spending the whole semester without an activity and being in a class specifically for help in cardiovascular endurance or upper body strength.

Physical Education teacher Mr. Hennelly spoke highly of the new rules, saying that the mile, pushups and check up on body composition are “beneficial” and also “worked in the past”. Furthermore, he stated that the rules could be changed for more efficiency.

“If a student cannot reach the national norm in each of the tested components, they should take those classes in order to reach the average in order to participate in sports and gym activities”.

Although this is similar to the original rules, he believes that if you do poorly the first time around, a class is automatically necessary.

Senior student Kelsey Cronin said, “If you play a sport, you should not have to run the mile”.

Kelsey participates in high jumping and hurdling with the Girl’s Varsity Winter and Spring Track & Field Team. For her and other student athletes, they believe that going to practice six days a week and attending meets, games and events already covers keeping a body healthy and in shape.

She believes that the students “won’t take the class seriously” if they fail at the timed mile and are taken out of their activity. We will see what shall happen throughout the year!