To All Underclassmen…

Austin DiLullo

To All Underclassmen,

My name is Austin DiLullo, and I am a graduating Senior of West Morris Central High School. Before I leave the school, I wanted to give some advice to all of you, to help you get through the next three years with less difficulty than I had when I transitioned from Freshman to Senior. I advise that, although you may want to have fun all the time, it is a very wise idea if you take your school and homework seriously. You can still relax and have fun, but it is a very good idea, in my opinion, to deal with your work first, and to get ahead of the work.
I am writing this to all underclassmen because I want to help you succeed in the transition from middle school to high school. I needed that when I first walked into West Morris as a freshman. Nobody was around to help me adjust to the system, help me adjust to the differences. I was the eldest sibling in my family, so I had to learn about high school on my own. It was difficult, and I encountered many obstacles. Even now I wish that somebody from the upper grades had reached out to me and said” this is how it is different”, and “this is what you need to know about high school”. That’s why I’m writing this letter to all of you. To be that person whom I did not have when I was a freshman.
I remember from my time in high school when I slacked off on my work. I procrastinated on what I needed to do, and it nearly buried me in my homework because I was too lazy to be responsible and to get ahead. Now that I’m a senior, I get a head of my work, which allows me to have free time when I need it, instead of scrambling to study for a test or finish a project that is due in the morning.
I got smart with my agenda and my management. All of you should do that as well. I reorganized my agenda so that I could keep track of my projects, my homework, my miscellaneous tasks, and prioritize them in their proper order. With this system of management, it cut the difficulty of my work in half.
Take my word for it, you don’t want to be stuck with homework during the weekends, especially when you want to have fun, or hang out with your friends. Deal with it first when you have the chance. start on projects immediately, do the homework on the night it was given. follow through on your plans and tasks. I guarantee that this will make high school easier for you, as, for those of you that are freshmen, it is going to get harder as you advance up the grades. It is better to be prepared during your Freshman year rather than preparing the hard way during your Junior or Senior year.

Sincerely,
Austin DiLullo
WMCHS Senior
Class of 2014