To all of those Future Academic Scholars, and Announcers of WMC,

Victoria Valentino

After four years of high school at West Morris, there are certain triumphs and failures that us upperclassman have experienced. When it comes to high school, as cliche as it sounds, ensure that you are involved in everything and anything that interests you. The students that just come to school and go home will have a subpar experience. It’s the students that are involved in clubs, sports and activities that inspire change in our community. In order to find your niche in the school, attend the activities fair in the beginning of the year. There is a club or activity for everyone.
To ensure success at WMC, you must also make sure to respect all teachers and faculty. The students of West Morris are generally some of the most respectful students in Morris County. Visitors have always commented on how kind out student body is. This puts a smile on he face of all the staff, knowing that outside people think highly of our student body. Being kind and respecting your faculty will also make things easier for you as a student. Not only will it make for a more enjoyable learning environment, but it will benefit you. When it comes to the end of the marking period, if a teacher really sees you trying, they may round that 89.5% to a 90. Teacher can appreciate a student who puts in genuine effort into their class.
One of my favorite things I have done in my years of high school is the morning announcements. Next year, Dante, Carly, Kaitlin and I are leaving the keys to the announcements to Andrew Mount, Scott Schumacher, Bella Beatrice, and Lona Sniderman. These individuals display the greatest enthusiasm for the role, and will do a great job saying he pledge, and delivering the news of the school. The only thing I can say is have fun, don’t be nervous, and know that you are a part of everyone’s morning everyday. The four of us tried to make it fun for the staff and students by personalizing the greetings everyday. If you want to do something fun however, make sure you clear it with Mrs. Dumbrill first. She really is the nicest woman ever and is a good mentor for this club. Also, this involves leaving class early, and sometimes certain teachers won’t let you leave. Make sure you coordinate the days so at least 1 or 2 people can come everyday. Remember, you set the mood for the day so keep it optimistic. The four of us have become a little family and have become really good friends. I only hope the same happens for you guys! And one more thing: don’t be afraid to mess up–its June and he four of us still do it all the time! Like I said before, just have fun!
In high school, you are faced with the pressures of academics, social lives, standardized tests, and eventually deciding what college you may want to attend following graduation. Through it all, make sure you leave room to have fun and discover yourself. Take pictures, laugh often, go to bed at a reasonable time, attend sporting events, make new friends,–fall in and out of “love”. Take this time to explore yourself and who you want to be. The doors of West Morris can only hold our hand for four years. Leave your mark, and MAKE YOUR LIFE EXTRAORDINARY.

Sincerely,
Victoria Valentino